Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Easter bunny is coming to town

I hope the Easter bunny is more reliable than the tooth fairy!

When we were growing up, I remember going to a huge Easter egg hunt in Paris, Texas. It was so much fun and I was always hoping to find one of the "special" eggs to win one of the "big" prizes. I'm not even sure what the "special" eggs looked like or what the prizes were, but the thrill of the hunt was what it was all about.

This is just one more holiday that is difficult to explain to Annabel.

I know we did all of this for Grace, but maybe since she was only 6 and had her cousins here to celebrate, it doesn't seem like it was as difficult to introduce these holidays.

But for Annabel at 11 years old, it seems "late" to just now be having these holidays. But it doesn't seem to lessen her interest in participating.

Today we dyed eggs, which did not make any sense, but she enjoyed it anyway! She is always afraid that her things are not good enough, but i thought she did a great job.

While they were busy dying eggs, the Easter bunny hid the eggs, since it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow.

So now I have made her dye eggs, which are supposed to be eaten, then I send her out with a basket to look for her food.

Still she didn't mind and got into the pleasure of the hunt very quickly!!

Amazingly both girls found almost the exact same number of eggs all 100 times we had to hide them!

OK, so it was not 100 and pretty quickly they decided they would rather play, but on the third try I used the smaller "hide and seek" eggs and hid them so well that at least 5 are still out there somewhere!

The three of us played soccer, or our version of it and then progressed to "Four square". I had forgotten about playing that until today. I LOVED that and kickball at their age.

We kind of made up our rules as we went along but had a good time.

I called it quits when we were all tied.

Annabel wondered if they would be getting gifts when they woke up, since Grace told her they would.

I think they were afraid that being grounded would eliminate the visit by the Easter bunny. Jana sat the standard for HUGE Easter baskets. Or was it my Auntie Betty?

At our house, the Easter bunny always came the Monday after Easter. But one weekend we were at my grandmother's at the same time that my Auntie Betty and her 4 boys were there. The Easter bunny was coming to see the Hogue boys, so they also had to come see us! That ruined the bargain Easters from then on!

I took the easy way out, I have to confess. Annabel did not have an Easter basket and for just the basket alone, it was $10!!!! Can you believe that? At Sam's I found a great Easter basket with a soccer ball and tons of other great things. But f I don't get them out of the car, it will start raining or the Easter bunny will be as bad as the tooth fairy!

No comments: