Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Feet and karate

It is so helpful to have online friends who have gone through similar situations. I have heard from so many in their care and concern over the bullies the girls are dealing with at school.

One mom wrote and told about her own experiences and how she handled it as a teen. She did not recommend handling it like she did but did suggest the idea of karate classes to help build esteem and confidence.

A long time ago I took the girls to see a class and determine their interest. At the time the only class I knew was across town and did not seem like something workable.

In the meantime I had learned about classes at our local rec center, with more reasonable prices. So this afternoon we dropped by to check out the classes, prices, etc. The girls were interested and we went back to give it a try.

It was hard to sit on the sidelines but I have not been released to do this type of exercise because the girls seemed to really get into it. There was a LOT more exercise to it than I expected but they made it through and decided they could not wait to go again on Thursday.

I can see why it does build confidence and is a good workout. It teaches you to work out your brain as much as your body. Both have continued their "workout" even in the car.

I got help to keep going tonight, since it had also been my first day back at work, because Mom made her world famous chicken and dumplings. They were delicious and easy for me to eat!

For my first day back it seemed to be packed, not just with work, but also the girls had a doctor's appointment this afternoon.

When I adopted Grace, being new to being a mom, and probably just slow, it took me several days to realize the shoes they had put her in to meet me were so big it was difficult for her to walk. Grace's feet had evidently been forced into such small shoes usually that she has had problems with her feet for the last 4 years. It has been so difficult to find any shoes to fit and lately she has complained about them hurting even more.

After our visit to Children's Medical and the comprehensive exam there, the doctor urged me to contact a podiatrist for Grace's foot problems. It seems that the foot pain has been from plantar fasciitis. No wonder she has been complaining. I know a lot of adults who have been felled with this! I am glad that I had him look at Annabel's feet because she too has plantar fasciitis! He ordered orthotics for both and hope that they will help.

Every time we make improvements in their life I fight the feelings of anger, sadness, and then hope. If my girls feet can get better and their self esteem improves, look out world! They will be on the top of their game.

No comments: