Sunday, March 8, 2009

Hard to leave beauty!

This has been a beautiful weekend and it is hard to turn loose of the girls to face their challenges of the coming week.

We spent Saturday going through clothes, trying to sort out the cold winter clothes, since we think that part is over! But with Dallas weather it could still freeze and snow on Easter. But the girls needed to find something for our 89 degree weather!

Mom came over to help and instead had a good laugh at me dealing with issues she knows way too well from all of us.

Growing up, our house only had 2 bedrooms and 1 bath. There were 6 of us, so that meant one bedroom had 4 for the majority of the time. With it being an old house, there was also a HUGE LACK of closet space, more like a coat closet in each bedroom. But if you have 4 sleeping in a room there isn't a lot of room for dressers or chests of drawers either, so we ALWAYS took time to box up our clothes at the end of each season. Unless of course they were pants that had gotten too short and then they transcended the seasons and became shorts. Or a sleeveless shirt from your long sleeved one also was created.

We were fashion plates!!!

Even though this house is bigger than what I grew up in and have half the people, we still seem to be without any storage space!

So we put it all in the dining room and began to sort through it.

Quickly both girls became bored with it and the more bored they were the grumpier they got and the more Mom laughed as I tried my best to keep them on task. Goodness what a great way to spend a beautiful afternoon! But at least they could find something to wear today so we did have success!

This afternoon we made it all the way to the grocery store to pick up prescriptions and while out, I knew I did not feel like trying to think of something for dinner, so we took advantage of a coupon from McDonalds.

While there, the noise level was so high with the children way out of control, yet the parents only seeming to ignore it, I feel I got an idea of why there are the problems in the girls' school. If this is a sample of how the children are disciplined at home, no wonder they have no concept of appropriate behavior in school.

I know it is an area to have a good time, but this was just bad behavior, with one bully pouring her water down another kid's shirt, one hitting another, and that was just one group.

Which brings me to my original thought. It is hard to send my girls back to school when I am not sure they are any better prepared to deal with the bullies there.

I got a great email from a friend who told about her own experiences with a bully at school. She ended up making her point with her bully in a physical way. It is tempting to urge them to try this at this point, but she also suggested some martial arts classes to help them in building self esteem. I think this might be a good idea.

I've also added a prayer specifically for the primary bully. After what I saw at McDonalds I think she needs more help than what can be provided without some help. I am praying for a better week for both.

No comments: