Friday, March 6, 2009

One up, one down

This afternoon I decided to call the assistant principal and instead of pointing the finger at the students who had given Annabel such a hard time all week, ask for his assistance in helping both us know the better way to handle this.

As soon as he answered he said he had meant to call me.

Seems like Annabel's friend told her she did not win a game they were playing, Annabel's feelings were hurt and she started crying. And once those tears started, the rest of the week must have come out too and she could not stop crying.

Her teacher wanted to know what was going on and for once Annabel decided to trust someone to help her and told her all that had happened. Thank goodness for this teacher and interceding on Annabel's behalf.

When I called, this teacher had just been in to discuss the matter with the assistant principal. He had decided to call the girls into his office and have a talk with them.

At the end the girls were told to apologize to Annabel and ask to be her friend.

Annabel was on cloud nine and felt like all her issues were resolved. I HOPE SO!

But then Grace sat down beside me to tell me a rather long and complicated story that boiled down to the fact that Annabel's primary tormentor had taken a permanent market and marked out Grace's face on her copy of the class picture.

Grace was so hurt. She was the only person she had done this to. She cried and cried.

I pray that this girl, who seems to get so much joy from hurting others, will find the help she needs. I don't know anything about her home life, but best guess is there are some problems there. She obviously is not a happy person that by the age of 10 derives her only pleasure from the pain of others.

I went for my post op visit yesterday and found out that out of 25 years of doing this type of hiatal hernia repair, that I rank in the top 3 of the worst! He filled me in on some of the details of the surgery and I will need a second surgery to complete the process. I don't look forward to this as I have been extremely sick to my stomach tonight by trying to eat something a little different. Annabel designated herself to be my caregiver guarding me from any jumping dogs!

No comments: