Friday, October 31, 2008

A post script from my education posting

I decided to make a visit to the school today to find out answers to some questions first hand and to set up appointments for further discussion.

The first teacher explained that Grace had not turned in her assignment so she got a 50. If she wanted to turn it in now, she would grade it but the highest score she could receive is a 50.

The teacher where the harassment took place yesterday tried to convince me that it was an innocent conversation and it was Annabel's fault for not understanding. HUH????? And that she just shuts down sometimes at school. He thinks it might be because she feels left out. (reminds me of a bad episode of My Name is Earl)

I tried to explain that sometimes misunderstandings do occur in our household with Annabel not completely understanding the conversation. BUT, as I explained to him, I take the time to ensure she does understand BEFORE it gets to the point of tears. Oh well, it was close to the end of the period and he did not have time.

Before I left I told Grace her teacher said she did not turn in her work. Now Grace really is too innocent to make up stories and told me she turned it in when there was a substitute. Sure enough, when she went to the class, she went through the teacher's folders and found her work in a folder of graded assignments, but hers still did not have a grade. Voila! Amazing, isn't it?

But that is not the end of my story about the school for today.

Tonight as the girls we getting ready for trick or treating, the phone rang and the machine picked up.

It was a taped message notifying me that DISD was concerned about their student, (insert name here) Annabel Locke, and her number of unexcused absences. She was in danger of truancy and a letter had been mailed.

At this point, I'm speechless.

I had called the DISD parent liaison this afternoon to hear an update from our conversation on Tuesday.

Why he was so surprised that I called. He had told the school they needed to call me. They hadn't?????

He would tell them again they need to call me.

Oh now I feel a lot better. You are going to go back to the source of the lack of communication and again tell them they need to communicate.

If I don't like this process, I can go to the school and request a form to complete requesting a level 1 process, which is to request a meeting with the principal.

CATCH 22!!

3 comments:

Holly said...

To quote my own little ELL (English Language Learner), "I so MAD at your school!" Keep at it, Mama Bear! XXXOOO, Holly

lisa said...

Oh my gosh!! You have to complete a form to request a meeting with the principal? That's nuts. Clearly keeping a good relationship with parents and the community isn't a priority here. :( Did the teacher apologize for the misplaced work?

GRRRR!!

Marcie said...

I'm very dissappointed at Rosemont right now. If you want, I'll go yell at them - I'm a teacher, we have authority, right? haha.