Monday, October 20, 2008

Annabel's surgery is tomorrow



Annabel is not sure what Halloween is, but she is very excited about getting dressed up and getting candy.


Tomorrow is her surgery to repair her ear drum. A lot of people asked me what she thought about it. I was planning to wait until tonight to explain everything so there was no need for extra anxiety. But I should have learned by now that there is no such thing as a secret with Grace! She had already explained everything by the time I got home from work.

Thank goodness Mom and Dad are back. It was nice to have a home cooked meal that I did not prepare!

But we ate early and Annabel does not get to eat again until after the surgery! This for a child who wake up and her first words can be "I so HUNGRY!!" So after dinner they had their second meal! I hope the spicy noodles don't give them nightmares.

While they were eating we talked about Grace's two eye surgeries. Now you have to understand when we have these conversations there is a lot of acting out the story, some English, some Chinese, but rarely are they boring.

We went on to discussing Ollie's surgery! This one took more explanation, but only because Annabel is never satisfied with the short version of a story, she has lots of whys? So I am trying to explain a bladder stone being removed from a dog!

The surgery isn't until 1:00 pm and I will not know if she has to spend the night until much later. One mother who has gone through it twice with her daughter urged me to request she spend the night. Evidently the close proximity to your middle ear causing extreme nausea and the inability to keep any food down.

Because I like to keep things complicated, I guess, we are also on our 3rd day of no fence. So I now I have the mop and bucket on permanent standby. These dogs need a better trainer than I am!

Quite a few really nice things are going on also.

We took a long walk Saturday and came across a bunch of woolly worms walking up the street. These freaked Annabel out. She grabbed my hand and held it through the rest of the walk. We went back to the same street tonight and again she automatically took my hand. This is HUGE! The first time that she has come that close and allowed physical contact!

This evening we got a call from Ms. Wu, the music teacher, who has been such a fantastic help with translation for Annabel. She had seen her reading her Chinese Bible and invited her to church. She called tonight to see if we would be interested. Annabel is so excited that I said yes and we just need to wait to see how she feels after surgery before making more plans.

Ms. Wu told her she would pray for her about her surgery. I told her that Grandmother, Grandfather, Grace, Martha, Mark, Marcie, Lisa, Emily, Holly, Wes, Alma Faye, and everybody, everybody that knew and loved her would also pray.

I am anxious to write tomorrow that things are fine!

4 comments:

lisa said...

I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers today!

Holly said...

Annabel is likely at least partway through her surgery by this time. I am praying my prayers ot thanks for her restored audio health, and for a safe and peaceful surgery. May it be so. I LOVED hearing that Annabel is taking your hand, Jerri!! Progress! Bless Ms. Wu, too, for her prayers and offers for church. She is such a treasure to have!! Irene steadfastly refuses to speak Mandarin anymore, and claims to not understand it. Yeah, right. She is a hard head! Thankfully, she is in the right family (of hard heads!) The other day she was just flat out heck-on-wheels with bad behavior. When I was putting the girls to bed, I laid down on Irene's bed and started reading to them. She moved over to me and gave me a hug! I turned to her and said, "You have been horrible to me, and had bad behavior and bad choices all day and now you are hugging me! WHY??" She shrugged her shoulders, gave me her best dimpled grin, and said, "Because I love you!" LOL!!! Can't wait to hear more about Annabel's surgery. XXXOOO, -Holly

Doreen said...

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow. I will be thinking about you. I know how worriesome it all is. I am worried enough about taking our 13 year old daughter (home two weeks) to the dentist on Thursday. I haven't mentioned it to her yet.

I will be checking for updates tomorrow.

Marcie said...

We did pray! So glad it sounds like everything went ok. Call me when you get time!