Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Princess and the Pea is now Princess and the Pea, two sick daughters, two stinky dogs, and 8 dolls and stuffed animals

When I was growing up Mom compared me to the Princess and the Pea because of how picky I was about my bed. I'm not sure when I got to be picky as I shared a bed with my older sister until I was 13, but maybe after that I actually got to have my bed the way I wanted, sheets smooth and tucked in, top sheet over the blankets, and just the right weight of all covers.

Tonight my bed has two daughters, both sick, one in pain, the other coughing and congested, an assortment of babies and stuffed animals, found a blue rubber glove from the hospital, special blankets for each, and an extra visit by each of the dogs. I planned to trick them and sleep at the foot of the bed, even though I am about 5 inches too long, but could sneak off to the couch when I needed. Annabel had other plans and insisted that I stay there with them all night.

I got up to answer the phone and the arrangements had already changed.

Annabel moved to the end and wanted me to have her place.

I got up to let the dogs out and then Grace needed to trade places to be closer to the fan since she is sweating and everyone else is cold.

So I am back on the couch wondering how long I get to stay before I am summoned back!

No comments: