Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Momma, ear hao tong!

Just when you think you have a good routine going, the morning does not start the way you planned.

Annabel wanted to tell me privately, in the bathroom, that her ear, "hao tong". I knew this wasn't going to be good because she never complains about pain and for some reason wanted it told in private. I could tell by looking at her eyes that she did not feel well.

Someone else commented about the high tolerance of pain these children have. I know that is true. The idea that she is telling me her ear hurts in private and knowing that I probably would have been incapacitated with her level of pain, makes me wonder how these situations were handled in China. Maybe they were told not to complain. Maybe it did not help any to complain, so why say anything. I am not sure if I will ever know.

The doctor confirmed an ear infection and prescribed antibiotics and ear drops.

I wanted to beg him to just give me a huge shot so I did not have to give her the medicine! I immediately had horrible flashbacks of the one time I put drops in her ears in China and the immediate intense pain she experienced. Hao Tong!! I had already tried to get her to take a tylenol or advil for the pain. She refused, so I had sent her to school with cotton in her ear. When the doctor saw the cotton he looked confused. I shrugged my shoulders and told him I didn't know what else to do to help with the pain. It had seemed to comfort her.

While getting the prescriptions filled, she and Grace checked out all the hair doo dads by the pharmacy. With her hair growing out, and seeing all that Grace has, she was really wishing for some new things for her hair. So far she only had the set that Mom and Dad got her for her "birthday party".

She had no idea, but I would have been willing to buy anything recognizing her pain level, knowing she was facing stinky medicine, AND ear drops.

Her bottle of antibiotics is at least twice as large as Grace's. Grace's is strawberry flavored. Hers is just bad flavored. It was supposed to be banana, but smells more like baby aspirin. To add a flavor meant waiting on the doctor to approve. Instead we opted for gum and skittles to take the taste out of her mouth. I don't do a good job of pretending like it doesn't stink.

Later we walked up to the dollar store for more hair doo dads and a small water bottle to have with her lunch. She is so aware of costs, that she only chose some that cost $1 and then insisted that I have one of the headbands. My hair is so short there isn't enough to use anything else.

It was also National Night Out and there was a big celebration at the hospital. She knows I work at the hospital, but not sure what I do, but that's ok. I was never sure what my dad did either.

The term National Night Out was useless to try to translate, so we just called it a party.

The girls had so much fun. I was concerned that noise level would hurt her ears, but she was intent on getting one of every little goodie the vendors had, each being more "special" than the last. She now has a bag full of stickers, pencils, flashlights, and rulers that is probably under her pillow.

I don't think I have mentioned her pillow and bed in a while.

Training for adoption, especially a child from an orphanage, you are warned about the child hoarding food. Usually you will find stashes of it in their bedrooms, because they have experienced such deep levels of hunger. Grace has never hoarded food. Hers has always been pencils and book marks. She has a box that is about 12 x 18 that is at least 2" deep in pencils. The bookmarks are not as easy to contain. The best part? She never has a pencil. The pencils in the box are sacred and not to be used!

Annabel keeps everything anyone gives her. But she keeps it all under her pillow! I had them take off their sheets last week to be washed. Underneath Annabel's pillow were a school uniform, pair of pajamas, a pencil, a bookmark, a card, and a whole stash of odds and ends. She rarely lets me glimpse into this very personal stash.

Her surgery is scheduled for October 30. I hope the ear will heal enough to have the surgery. More later on this.

No comments: