Monday, October 6, 2008

Catching up on some details

Annabel has decided she wants to take her lunch.

She told me that when she buys her lunch, she is SO HUNGRY! (Someone asked me if she really says all of that. In a way, yes. Between English and acting out, I know what she means. Besides, hungry is a recurrent theme.)

Her peng (pon yo), friend, takes hers so Annabel wanted to as well.

The first couple of days we had leftover chicken, which was just what she wanted.

I thought she would get tired of it so did not plan anything the third day.

But she was insistent on taking her lunch.

Since we had no chicken, she toasted a piece of bread, put it in a baggie, put some fruit in and seemed dismayed at the small meal she had. I showed her how to roll up some ham and have without the bread. That was all the encouragement she needed.

Now every morning she toasts a couple of pieces of bread (no butter), puts them in a baggie while they are warm (which I am going to guess makes them sweat), puts ham in a separate baggie, adds fruit, and chips or crackers. It is the strangest meal, but seems to do the trick.

Mom made goulash tonight, which is basically noodles, ground beef, and tomatoes. Annabel LOVES this meal so much, she is taking the leftovers to school. No, there is no microwave! Yuck!

Chinese school is going very well. Her teacher always takes the time to tell me how smart she is. Grace's class is below her level and they are working on numbers and colors. At least she is still attending!

We still do not have an appointment for the ear surgery. I tried calling once, but they said I needed to give the process more time as far as insurance, etc.

Annabel has learned so much English so quickly, she amazed me this morning with mostly English. Right before we left for China, I bought a table to have in the kitchen. The three of us have so many great times sitting around this table, talking, eating, learning. I am so glad for these interactions. They are priceless.

Grace and Annabel get along so well. The similarity in their backgrounds seems to be an important part in their relationship. They both have their Jiangxi Mommas and Bobbas that they miss, along with friends and others they have left behind.

1 comment:

lisa said...

Three new posts! A regular gold mine of new info. I love it!!