Friday, October 31, 2008

Education is key!

Tonight I have struggled with the best way to handle some problems that have come up for the girls at school. I've tried to focus on the adjustments of expanding our family and how Annabel is adjusting to having a forever family.

But tonight Grace gave me her mid six week report to sign.

I looked at the grades and I cannot believe it.

Grace has always made the A and B honor roll, A honor roll last year. She has worked hard to learn English, developed a voracious appetite for reading and learning, does her homework without fail. All of this with only 4 years of English. Maybe that sounds like a lot of time, but to truly comprehend English, the experts feel takes 7 years.

That's why a mid six week average of 78 in Language Arts is difficult to believe. She even received a 50 on one assignment.

When asked what was going on, tears were her only answer. But a classwork assignment that only received a 50 makes me wonder what is really going on. I can't decide if I am being realistic about my daughter's abilities. Maybe the first 4 years of school were all a fluke! Of course I don't believe that, but don't want to be one of those moms who think their child can do no wrong.

But then she also got 70's on two other in class assignments.

I asked to see this work.

I believe you can learn just as much from a bad grade as a good grade.

BUT you need to see what you did wrong so you can learn from it.

Grace insists that she has not received any of her assignments back, so how can she learn?

I feel that education is the key to your future. Obviously I think it is important or a I would have kept going back for so many degrees!! Plus we are headed to 6th grade next year. If we are looking at anything other than the feeder school, then good grades are required!

I know she can learn.

We were at piano today and the teacher was absolutely amazed at her ability. Grace had practiced songs that were not assigned and played them close to perfection. They were beautiful! The only places she had problems were on things she had not learned. When she started piano I joked with the teacher that I would not press her to practice as I was not expecting Van Cliburnesque ability!

Then matters about school just got worse!

Grace mentioned that Annabel cried at school today.

Every time I hear she cried breaks my heart.

I don't understand why I am not hearing about this until after the fact.

But the more questions I asked tonight and thanks to Lisa's input, I realized that Annabel is being bullied!

Kids in her class pester her about not speaking English, about her speaking Chinese.

It must have happened last week too and the teacher told the student to quit bullying Annabel!!

Today another one started on Annabel. She told me that she told him she did not understand what he was saying. You know, "No English!". But he would not stop until she started crying.

The teacher's response? "Did he make you cry?" to Annabel. That was it!! Nothing to the student who did it.

So what do I do? Pull them out and go further in debt for a private school? I can't quit work and home school. But my girls deserve a quality education in a safe environment.

Earlier in the year I had meetings with the teachers.

I have had a meeting with the principal.

Then this week when I went to pick them up for Annabel's post op appointment, the office didn't know where my daughters were! I was told I would need to go find them. The office did not know what class or room they were in. There seemed to be no way to communicate with the teachers in their rooms. I contacted the school district's parent liaison. Guess what I have heard back? NOTHING!!!

I forgot to mention Annabel's mid 6 week report.

She and Grace had the same grade in one class. Now one speaks English and the other Chinese!! How can they make the same grade?

Then Annabel got a 50 on an assignment on the candidates' views and vocabulary. Huh? Do you think Annabel even has a clue on our government?

She also got a 70 on the opinions of Obama/McCain on educ/healthcare/env.

Can you feel my frustration? What do I do?

5 comments:

Holly said...

To borrow a word from Super Nanny -- this situation is UNACCEPTABLE! Man. I am torn between tears and rage! This whole situation MUST be fixed. For both Grace and Annabel. I cannot think clearly right now, because my emotions are too high. But, the one thing I can offer is to look for an IB school near you. The whole IB approach is ACCEPTANCE and TOLERANCE. A truly international way of thinking and learning. There is NO bullying or ethnic/language teasing. The kids are taught that there are alllllllll types of people, and everyone is OK just as they are. Jerri - I plead with you to locate an IB school or encourage your school to become an IB candidate school. I searched for "International Baccalaureate Dallas 5th grade" and came up with the Dallas International School. Sounds pricey. Is it? The local IB candidate school where my 3 daughters go is a PUBLIC school. It is FANTASTIC. Please, Jerri - look for an IB school near you. You will never regret it. Please keep us posted. BOTH Annabel and Grace deserve a learning environment that is safe, encouraging, accepting, and stimulating at their own individual level. If I think of more, I'll write more. I strongly encourage you to change schools. The best thing I have heard about the school where Grace and Annabel are is Ms. Wu!! :-) Love from Colorado, -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi)

lisa said...

Wow, Holly, thanks for those comments about IB schools. We work hard to mkae our learning environment a special place for kids.

Jer, find a job here and move on down. Load up Mom and Dad. I'd LOVE to have the girls at my school. You'd love it too. :)

You find the job, I'll find the house. :)

lisa said...

Oop's, forgot to say I teach at Anderson Mill Elementary - IB World School!

Holly said...

Lisa! I had no idea you worked at an IB school! I thought you were a Photographer! ;-) I tell you, I am SOLD on IB. Being a blended culture family, we are VERY involved in supporting it. XXXOOO, -Holly

Marcie said...

Hey, I talked to my principal about this today. He used to be a principal at a public school and he gave me a bit of advice. I'll email you about it.