Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Annabel

A lot of people have asked how she is adjusting to her new life. I don't know how to answer this because it is really difficult to know. The language barrier is huge, but can tell you that she loves her Grand Poppa and her Grandmother and loves helping both, giving and receiving hugs, and trying to communicate with them. Dad can get away with correcting her behavior with only a "sorry" in response.

She is not interested in trying new food and picks off anything that resembles cheese, lettuce, or tomatoes. She loves playing outside. She is bored when everything is in English. She goes to bed when told. She insists on helping unload the dishwasher even when she can't reach the shelves. She loves Ollie and Nina and wishes they would sleep on the bed with her.

The beginning of Annabel's life is recorded in an abandonment statement that shows she was found outside a civil affairs office by an employee of the civil affairs department. She was taken to the Nanchang Social Welfare Institute.

Her birth was determined to be 2 days prior to her discovery.

An ad was posted looking for the parents who left their baby girl, but no one responded.

There is only her immunization record showing information on her life during this time.

She knows that she was found to be very sick at about age 2. I have heard from 2 people who take credit for saving her life. She was told her head was too big and was put in the hospital.

Shortly thereafter she was placed with a foster family. I have very little if any records of these events.

The next time there is any record is when she is taken from her foster family and returned to the orphanage to await her adoption.

I did not receive many records on her schooling, growth, or anything else.

It does appear that her foster family was richer than most and when I met them was surprised at how well they were dressed and that they appeared to be somewhat higher class than I thought. Also they did not seem to have missed a meal, which makes it even more difficult to understand why Annabel is so small and under on development.

I'm not sure if she will ever be able to feel in the blanks or not. That's a lot of years to go through for a forever family. I hope she will think it is worth.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I can't get over how fond of her I already am... and I have only seen her 2 days! Sorry I didn't come by today. We were trying to finish moving before the power gets turned off in the apartment. I am coming by tomorrow!

Holly said...

Jerri - I think you, Grace and Annabel are so brave! Think of all the changes each of you has been through. And now you are all on a new team! Exciting and frustrating. Each team member supports the rest. Each understands the slips and falls. Each cheers the other. Each sometimes feels envy for the others and thinks mean thoughts. Oh, come on ... you know it happens! LOL! I think I have the USA gymnastics team on my mind today. They are the picture of grace, aren't they? I wish I were so mature as these young girls. The things I could do! ANYWAY - you three are doing GREAT! You are each human. Filled with grace, emotion, frustration, love and so much more. Things are JUST as they should be! I can't wait to hear more! Lots of love from Colorado -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi) (PS - I am worried about Marcie's power getting turned off. Can we start a fund to help her? HEE!! It's a JOKE, people. :-)
(OK - just who is punchy with jet lag here? ha)