Saturday, August 9, 2008

We've become one of those families you see on TV

How many times have I seen news stories with the camera panning the waiting area and people asleep wherever they can be? Each and every time I have felt so sorry for them. I could not imagine how rough that must be.

So at 3:07 a.m. I am trying to catch a minute of sleep on a metal bench in the restaurant area of Los Angeles Airport International Terminal, waiting for it to be 4:00a.m. so we can check our bags and then board at 6:40 a.m. for home. I keep trying to figure out what time it is in China, but best guess is 6:07 p.m. on Saturday. So we have been on the road 25 hours and still not home.

My ever obedient Grace is sitting on another bench writing in Chinese with her new stuffed dog.

My new Tigger, Annabel is barefoot, sitting on the luggage cart and made it into a sort of go cart wheeling up and down the corridor that at times is busy. Oh well!

Cathay Pacific gave us a voucher for $15 per person for food. at 1:00 a.m. in LAX the only open restaurant is McDonalds. Have you ever tried to spend $45 at McDonalds? I knew Annabel was hungry as neither the dinner or breakfast had suited her. Grace and I can find something we like on every meal served. Annabel's last meal was a bowl of noodles in Guangzhou that cost 10rmb, less than about a nickel. I had to go to a different part of the airport to get boiling water but the girls just sat and kept themselves occupied with their new electronic game. But that was the last meal she ate.

We are so close and can't wait to get home. A shower is becoming a priority now! Sleep another one. I was able to get Grace and I seats on the Hong Kong flight but did not have Annabel's passport so I couldn't check her in.

By the time I did, the seat on the row with us was taken.

I put the 2 girls together and must say that Cathay Pacific has the kindest flight attendants I have ever seen. This woman worked hard to get someone to swap with us so we all were on the same row. There was not an empty seat on the flight.

I had found seats that appeared to be at a bulkhead and they were, but then the armrests didn't go up.

Grace laid down on the floor and slept almost the entire flight. Annabel curled up in a ball in her seat and slept most of the time. Me? I suffered. Since Grace was under my feet I didn't have anywhere to put them. I hope if we ever do that again I can afford business class.

I have promised Annabel ice cream in 2 minutes and she is very prompt. More later.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Oh my goodness. You have brought back similar memories of our family spending hours and hours in the Seattle airport, waiting to get home to the Denver airport. It felt like torture. Truly. And, the girls alternated between punch-drunk and uncontrollable, to comatose! LOL! I hope by now you are home and can stay up till at least a non-laughable time for bed. :-) Lots of love from Colorado, -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi)