Saturday, August 23, 2008

Advice

In 1979 I had brain surgery.

At the time, I did not know anyone else who had had brain surgery and don't think many people did. Probably if they had brain surgery they died. Who knows!

Anyway, I did not have to endure everyone's horror stories on brain surgery. No one had been there/done that so they could not tell me about what to expect.

If you have heart surgery, EVERYONE knows someone who has had heart surgery. Everyone has a tale to share.

If you are pregnant, EVERYONE has either been pregnant or knows someone who has been. They all have tales to share. My co-worker Gloria even endured my advice and I have never been pregnant or had a baby!

When you deliver that baby there are a million websites full of advice, books that could probably circle the globe, and almost as meaning well meaning friends to share their stories.

When you adopt an 11 year old, you don't find a lot of people who have been in your shoes. Thankfully I have connected with some on the Internet and there are a few books, but good or bad, most of the time you are flying by the seat of your pants.

When the girls are grown, we will have to see if this was the best way!

2 comments:

Marcie said...

I came by to say hey earlier today, but you were napping. I saw the girls in their eye shadow splendor though.
Good luck with the first day of school!

Holly said...

I liked the way you said that when the girls are grown, you will see if they were raised in the best way. Whenever people tell me I am a good mother, I respond that they should check back in 20 years to see if I was a good mother. LOL! XXXOOO, Holly