Monday, August 25, 2008

First day of school

If there were a competition for the worst first day of school, I think Annabel would be in the running.

The girls got up and ready to go. I know I mention this as if it is a huge deal, but for Grace it is. She has taken her role of experienced sister very seriously. She got Annabel into the school uniform and even had her tuck in her shirt tail and add a belt. Normally Grace is too much like her mom and would stay in bed until the very last second and run out the door.

Not today!

When we got to school, Grace met her class in the gym and Annabel and I went to the library to complete registration. Thankfully one of the teachers remembered there is one teacher who speaks Chinese and helped break the ice some.

She went with us to Annabel's classroom.

Her teacher kind of looked like a deer in the headlights when I explained that she did not speak any English and Chinese was her primary language.

He said he had always been interested in learning Chinese. Maybe he will have a chance.

I left Annabel and said a quick prayer that the day turn out good.

I went back to thank the teachers and took a few snaps of Grace in her class.

I met the girls after school rather than the GrandPoppa. They were both late coming out. The teachers explained there was a problem with Annabel's lunch box or back pack.

You could tell Annabel was frustrated, upset. When I heard what happened, I was upset too.

When they went to lunch, no one made sure she had her lunch. I guess most of her class buy their lunch. Anyway, her special lunch of things she likes was still in her classroom. They made her buy her lunch instead. Pizza! The one thing she does not like.

Then late in the afternoon, probably when she got back to her lunch, her bottle of water leaked all over everything in her backpack and on her clothes and everywhere.

We got home and she tore into that lunch like she was starving. Best guess is she was. She asks for food every 2 hours. That was a long day.

One of teachers asked why I didn't have them in the same class. I thought since she was ESL she had to be in a special class. This year there is no specific ESL, all of the students are mixed together.

Tonight Grace and I talked about it. She would be required to go to the class that Annabel is in rather than move Annabel into her class. Grace knows most of the kids in Annabel's class and thinks that it would be better for all, especially Annabel. But then tonight we began rearranging drawers and it got pretty quiet. I know that Grace has made a lot of changes and adjustments and it was late. She finally mentioned that she couldn't find her lock from last year. I told her she could have Annabel's for now and then switch when we fin d hers. All was right again!

Pictures later!

2 comments:

Holly said...

Annabel is such a GIFT to her teachers, and to others around her. She will teach how to truly listen and hear ... without words. She will cross boundaries and dance along long-held lines. She will break barriers. She is brave and strong! She is amazing! She will bring out the amazing things in those around her. I know it. Thanks for keeping up your blog, Jerri. You inspire me! Lots of love from Colorado, -Holly

Marcie said...

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned this, but as a teacher (not a parent, obviously), I really think it would be a bad idea to put Grace in Annabel's class. I think Grace's classwork would suffer, because she is such a sweetheart and would constantly be trying to translate and watch out for Annabel. Annabel will learn English faster on her own in a classroom, too!
Hope you took first day of school pictures! Can't wait to see them!