Friday, August 29, 2008

More progress only with a better view

While we were still in China I immediately noticed how Annabel would squint to see anything at any distance.

Last week we placed an order for glasses with her new prescription. Costco said it would be 11 days. Somehow explaining time is a difficult concept, so in Costco, I am counting down and pretending to sleep between each time. She understood though and each day would pretend to draw circles around her eyes and say, "11, right Mom?" Yes, 11 days until they are ready.

They called today, only a week into the order to say they were ready.

She put those glasses on and I think for the first time was able to see distance, to see beyond her small scope, probably only within an arm's length of life.

She stood in Costco staring at TVs on display.

She could see her Grandfather from a distance.

She could see her Grandmother from a distance.

She could see her sister from a distance.

She seemed so excited and was intent on seeing it all.

I commented on the drive home that she was seeing Dallas for the first time.

Grace questioned what I meant and I explained that driving in the car she had never been able to see out the windows enough distance to recognize things.

There are so many ways she has impacted all of our lives in such a short way. She absolutely has to give her grandmother a big hug on a regular basis. She has to joke around and poke and play with her grandfather. She has to shout "Good bye Grandmother! Good bye Grandfather!" all the way to school. She wakes up the whole neighborhood!

She also insists that she and Grace play outside for a while every night. Plus Ollie and Nina get a run for their money.

When they came in from the front yard, I called them into the back.

We had bought some goldfish for our outdoor tank and I wanted them to see them. Then I turned on the sprinklers to cool them off, but also to provide entertainment. Ollie LOVES to attack the sprinkler. It is too funny, barking, backing off, barking, backing off, biting the water. We had a good laugh and the girls got cooled off too.

While drying my hair, she came in asking what was I doing. I showed her the hair dryer and explained the best I could. She turned around for me to dry hers. First time I got that close! Then she even put some conditioner on it! Huge progress for us!

She has begun having an interest in reading and hearing books written in English, so each night we read several. Then she reads us a Chinese book and makes us guess what it says!

I'm going to post her series of questions she posed to her teacher next. They are TOO funny!

No comments: