Tuesday, August 19, 2008

God surely answers prayers as it is raining in August in Texas!

It is so incredible that we have had enough rain that an outside party has been postponed. This is not your usual Texas August weather and we are extremely grateful! I could use a reduction in my water and electricity bills!

We had a marathon day of fun today!

We had left things last night that if Gillian and Darcey were up to it, we would go to breakfast first and then lots of exciting things after that.

Dad called to let me know they were sitting by the door. My girls were still asleep.

First stop was IHOP.

If you want breakfast, where else would you start?

Each girl got to choose their favorite and we had to guess for Annabel.

I know she likes eggs, but really never seen her eat bacon, no potatoes, and don't remember seeing a Pancake House in China!

But she got one of the combo meals to try it out. She scraped off every bit of the butter off her pancakes. (Grace asked if she could eat it!) Then she proceeded to half her pancakes and put her eggs inside to eat. Seemed reasonable to me. At least she had a good breakfast.

Next stop the hospital to drop off our specimen collected from yesterday. YUCK! Dad was volunteering in my department and know he loves an excuse to get out and run around. We left it with him to deliver and printed some coupons for one of our next stops.

On to the Crow Collection.

It is amazing that we have a beautiful museum dedicated to Asian art but even more amazing are the great programs they come up with for the families. Each day this week they are doing interactive programs about the Olympics and/or China.

We arrived just before the paper cutting was ending, but they were very kind and patient and let our girls participate. Several volunteers spoke Mandarin, so Annabel immediately had some friends. We ran into some of our other FCC girls and enjoyed it immensely.

After paper cutting was story time. I guess if you are 11 you are way too mature for that! We did their scavenger hunt and ended up with the display of Chinese games. Grace tried to explain one to me as she and Annabel played. I have trouble following Go Fish right now though.

They had one room set up with the Olympics on and refreshments. One of the sweet little FCC girls was dismayed that the Americans didn't win the competition we were watching. Her mom was so sweet in explaining we can't always win but need to be happy for those who did.

I couldn't remember how much time we had left on the meter so we made a mad dash to prevent a ticket. The only thing left to see was the gift shop and really can't spend any money right now. Did I mention the best part of the Crow Museum is that it is all free?

Of course we worked up a huge appetite and headed to the ultimate place where a kid can be a kid! Chuck E Cheese.

I have a wonderful friend whose husband works for Chuck E Cheese, so she provided us with free passes.

I wish I had been in front as we entered because I think Annabel's eyes must have looked like a kid's on Christmas morning after Santa has been there.

She was so overwhelmed and overjoyed by the whole thing. I promise to figure out how to post my pictures again soon. They have a TV camera set up so you can be on the show with Chuck and his friends. I took a picture of the girls on the TV screen special for Holly!

Since we were in North Dallas I thought we could go to a Chinese market. There are NONE in our neighborhood and hoped Annabel could find something she liked.

She did and now I have some odd foods that I do not know how to prepare. In one store they had a Chinese cook book and wondered if I would need it to prepare Lotus Root slices and mixed congee. Bought lots of bowls of noodles, the same brand she picked in China. Glad they had something she liked. Several other snacks that Grace always wants me to taste but really don't have the stomach to try. I'm sure I should but once I take a bite I can't hide my expression very well on how it tastes!

I wanted Annabel to get her hair trimmed at least before school, but got a resounding no, so I got mine cut instead.

Then we were off to our last stop. A Chinese buffet.

I think some of the girls might develop pinchers tonight from the number of crab legs they ate. We introduced Annabel to crab crackers, rather than trying to use your teeth to break through the shell.

Back at home Grandmother and Poppa had watermelon waiting.

Should sleep good tonight!

1 comment:

Holly said...

The Crow Museum sounds amazing! I can't wait to see the TV picture from Chuck E Cheese (one of my least favorite places on Earth - always makes me want to drink heavily, and I don't even drink anymore! LOL!). I want to see pictures of the foods that Annabel selected, too! So, get that camera-to-PC link cranked up, Girl!! XXXOOO, Holly