Monday, August 25, 2008

Sunday, Sunday

The day started off great! I was so impressed with my girls getting up and ready for church. They looked so cute. Annabel acted like she had been doing this all her life! They went off together for Sunday school.

During church Annabel sat by Dad. First she was playing with him, but then when iit was time to be quiet, she laid her head over on his arm. It was so sweet. I had patted Grace on the shoulder during one song and she had to do the same. Hard not to smile.

I cannot believe it has only been 2 weeks.

Things have really changed and so much for the better.

After church and lunch, Grace asked if I planned to take a nap, could they play dress up.

From Marcie's post, I am guessing they used some of the makeup stashed in the dress up bag. Annabel was so impressed with her new look she kept coming in to show me.

After they cleaned up we went to an open house for one of the weekend Chinese schools. I wish our neighborhood would have programs like that. It seemed like we had almost driven to Oklahoma.

The people at the school were very nice. I asked if they had scholarships and the man urged me to get them registered and worry about the payment later. Annabel impressed them all with her ability to read Chinese. This school is primarily of the first generation of those who have relocated from China. Chinese is spoken at home, yet for their children, English is their primary language. Just the opposite for Annabel of course.

Grace also wanted to register even though she has grown tired of it in the past. She loves to work with Annabel and I am so impressed with how natural they are together. She was willing to even start at the beginner level with younger kids.

While we were there I asked someone to explain to Annabel that school starts tomorrow and the funny clothes we had bought were the school uniforms. Annabel began to cry, silently, but big tears. She thought I was registering her for the Chinese school for the full time school. I don't know how we have had so many misunderstandings about school. But she recovered quickly and for that I was thrilled.

We visited another Chinese market and steered away from the food that requires preparation. Grace wanted more seaweed! GROSS! Annabel picked out some small green fruit that I have never seen before. Anxious to see how she eats it!

We had dinner at a restaurant recommended by a person from the Chinese school. It was delicious, but I ordered too much. They were quite generous with their servings. Ollie and Nina appreciate the left overs.

It was 6:30 and we still did not have school supplies and not too much on uniforms.

We were in a neighborhood I knew nothing about, but found Office Max and Office Depot. Can you believe they close before 6:30?? On to Target in our neck of the woods. Hoped they wouldn't recognize us as the vomiting group!

There were a LOT of last minute shoppers and no 24 pack of crayons in the store. We got enough so Grace would not panic tomorrow.

Our FCC friends recommended looking for uniforms on ebay. Found several pieces that will help. Also another friend thinks she has some things that will fit.

The girls packed their back packs and had their bedtime snacks. For the first time, Annabel offered me some of her cookies! Even though I didn't want it, I wasn't going to turn it down. Afterward off they went to bed.

No comments: