Monday, August 4, 2008

We survived the orphanage viisit

I will post more later as I am trying to scour this hotel room one more time for lost "treasures"!

We barely arrived at the orphanage and Grace's foster mother swarmed down on her, wagging a half sleeping baby the whole time. Grace just froze like she was in a bad dream. The foster mother cried, and grabbed, and hugged on Grace the whole time with her standing very stoic. Finally our guide asked if she knew her. Grace just nodded.

There was an old toothless man who seemed to be everywhere and I assumed it was her foster father. He kept trying to talk to me in Chinese, of course, and I was just thinking, yes, Grace has grown very tall, very smart, etc.

Later I learned it was no one that Grace even knew, It was someone's Grandfather!!

We finally moved into the orphanage gates and there was Wan Yun's foster parents. She cried and cried and it was so touching and I am trying to take pictures, but no time to aim, and I'm sweating and crying and everyone around us is speaking such loud Chinese I felt like I had also woken up in the middle of a bad dream.

More about the kids later. Taxi ride back to hotel so sad, so many tears.

Leaving at 3:00 pm for airport and on to Guangzhou, about a 1 hour plane ride.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Is Grace doing OK? Tell her we love her and miss her, and that she is more a Locke than anyone else I know! Not too much longer til you come home! Can't wait to meet Apple!

Holly said...

You are each so brave in so many ways! That visit to the SWI was hard, but you know that the memories and history that it helps build are beyond price in value. I can't wait to see some photos. Did you get to see the kids around 6-9 years of age? There is a boy there ... I am dreaming. Part of my heart will always live at Nanchang SWI. Lots of love from Colorado, -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi)