Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why starting your family in a hotel is a bad idea and I know why people quit writing when they get home.

For two and a half years, I have filled out paperwork, stood in lines, made phone calls, paid fees, filled out more paperwork, stood in more lines, more phone calls, paid more but these were things that I knew how to do.

In the meantime, I researched, I read, I emailed with others in similar situations, I tried to prepare for the changes.

We packed and we left, knowing that everything wasn't complete, but ready to meet the challenges.

Grace still loves to go to a hotel. In so many ways, that is where our family began.

She loves that we are in one room, usually have to share a bed, don't have to make up our bed, eat out, and Mom doesn't have any work to do!

So here we began another part of our family in hotels.

For these children who have lived in such meager beginnings, it is impossible to imagine what they think. They get used to maid service, laundry service, and restaurant service very quickly.

So home is a whole other story.

I realized that when I put my key into the door and we walked in, we have begun the real story and the real work. Adjusting to more space, learning to pick up after yourself, knowing where your things belong, how to take turns in the bathroom are a part of the story.

The real part is making this house a home for our family and making we three a family.

I hope I will continue finding time to update you.

I can tell you tonight was a battle zone.

Hopefully enough sleep and another day together will help us begin the work toward our goal.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hang in there, Jerri. Yes, sleep will help. And, time ... lots of time. You are laying down layers of love and trust. You are building. People always assume that the kids who were in foster families know how to be in a family. It is rarely so. But, you are just the Mama who is up to the task! (again!) You are doing great and will continue to do great! After a year home with Irene, she is truly understanding the workings of family, love, school, caring for home, sibling love (in addition to sibling fighting!), and she gives genuine hugs, kisses and love. Her trust is becoming solid. She belongs. This will build with Annabel, too. And, I cannot wait to watch! So, please keep posting!! Love from Colorado, -Holly

Marcie said...

Jer, Annabel is quite a spit fire - she is going to be fun to get to know! Yesterday, when I left, I held out my arms in a "give me a hug" manner, and she ran and literally JUMPED into my arms. I think she gets that we love her... I think the biggest challenge will be the communication gap - showing her boundaries and setting up a schedule are both hard when you can't tell her what's going on. But you can do it... and you have a village backing you up! I'm excited. I think her and Grace are going to be so good for each other!