Saturday, August 9, 2008

A Surprise for Jerri and the Girls

Big sister Lisa here - Jerri and the girl's flight should be landing in just 36 more minutes. I'm so excited and so sad I can't be there. It will be noise, color, tears, and chaos at the airport. I can't even begin to imagine what Annabel will think of her new home and family!

I have a surprise for Jerri and Grace - and in a way, Annabel. Since Jerri is on the plane and can't read this I'm telling the surprise now. For those of you who know Jerri personally, you'll know she and Grace live in the house next door to Mom and Dad. It's the house our sister Jana lived in. Well, Jerri moved in right on top of Jana's things, and already being a bit of a packrat...well, you can imagine the result.

When they walked out the door to go to the airport to catch a plane to China, she left her house in just a wee bit of a muddle...and that's an understatement, but I don't want to tattle on her too much! My daughter Katie and I came up from Austin and spent 2 1/2 days in her house! We moved furniture, unpacked boxes, hung curtains, put up pictures, mirrors, trinkets and treasures. We moved empty boxes into the garage as well as a plethora of empty plastic storage containers. We reconfigured things and made Jer an office. We took the extra bedroom furniture out of the girls' room and Dad sold it on Craigslist. We traded breakfast tables with Mom and Dad and gave the extra one to Gloria. Jerri had 4 eating spaces...maybe one or two extra. ;)

Anyway, that's the surprise. A totally organized and clean house. Mom and Dad helped enormously too. I can't forget to say that! Mom swept and swept. It's hard to keep those old houses from getting dusty. Dad built things, moved furniture, did some construction work, and ramrodded the whole project. It was a labor of love. :)

I hope when they walk in their front door they will love the surprise and instantly be at peace. No clutter, no boxes, just a serene living space for this new family. And isn't that a good surprise?

ps -I have one confession to make! While creating the office, we moved the computer stuff and didn't get it put back together before we had to leave. Ooop's! Sorry Jer!

1 comment:

Holly said...

Wow, Lisa! What a wonderful surprise and gift! You just made all the hairs on my arms stand up and tears come to my eyes. (Can you come do my house next??) This is a beautiful fresh start to this new family of three. It truly makes this house THEIR new home! Thank you. Thank you!! Thank you for your OPEN show of love and support for Jerri and her girls. Everyone who participated in this has found a way to truly show Jerry their love and support. Oh! That means SOOOO MUCH!!! I can't wait to hear her reaction!! Lots of love from Colorado, -Holly (mom to 3 from Jiangxi)