Saturday, August 2, 2008

Whole Chickens, Nanchang Wal Mart, and seeing dead relatives

OK, I will start with the dead relatives. Everywhere I turn I see someone who looks like a dead relative of mine reincarnated into a Chinese person! And I'm not talking about anyone who even resembles someone who is Chinese or anyone I was close to. I've seen a cousin who passed recently, an uncle, and now an aunt. Am I Bruce Willis and don't know it?



I think I have left out huge parts of our story. So I will backtrack a little.



Yesterday, Friday, I think :), we went to the People's Park. I love this park so much more than the August 1st park. This one is so much cleaner and more relaxed and actually has beautiful flowers and river flowing through. The rides are just as scary as the other one, but this one has all the little arts and crafts stand throughout.



Last time the girls got to choose a ride and they chose miniature army vehicles that seemed to wind up and drive around on the sidewalk. This time our guide only allowed one and it was over before I could count out the money.



We stopped to watch a man who used caramelized sugar to make designs/animals on a piece of marble. It was quite fascinating. If he were in the US he would be great at parties! The girls were thrilled to have an animal made out of sugar to consume on our way to dinner.



We had 2 choices of restaurants and our guide picked the smaller of the 2. You might think you know Chinese food but until you have had it in China in a family restaurant you really don't have a clue.



The food was very good. One of the dishes though was chicken. I realized when it was brought out that the feet, head, and beak were right on top!!



Grace was very disappointed that I would not let her eat the feet, so I finally gave up and she decided it was not her favorite after all. I can't remember the other dishes, several, and all for 80 rmb, which is just over $10! Now that is some cheap eats!



We had to switch rooms when we got back due to a problem with ours. Wan Yun got busy packing and I was shocked at fast she moved! She got herself and Grace packed while I was still getting out the suitcases! She even tried to pack the yellow pages.



The new room is on a higher floor, but we were woken up again with firecrackers. I have now had it explained to me that these strange processionals that we have been seeing are funerals. There have been as many as 2 a day! We hear the firecrackers, then a drum, sometimes other instruments, and a long procession of people dressed all in long white robes. Wan Yun caught us looking at one today and freak out! It is very bad luck to look at one.



This morning, Saturday, we went to Wal Mart.



In the Oak Cliff area of Dallas where we live, we were thrilled when Wal Mart came. But we learned very quickly not to go on Saturdays.



Multiply the worst you have ever seen Walmart, like on Christmas Eve night (which I have done too many times) and that is the way this one is. It has a couple of stories, don't know how many, 2 I think.



Anyway, our guide must have been a drill sergeant in an earlier life. She pushes through and says something in Chinese, and they let us through. My interpretation of it is, "Big, fat, sweating white Momma coming through!" Or she tells them I'm about to pass out, not sure which.



It was Christmas in August!



I knew this was my one chance to get some things that would help with the transition home and keep memories alive. And she still only has 2 outfits and a dress.



We hit the clothes department first.



Her typical response when shown something is very similar to what Grace would say, "NO!!!". This time I didn't ask her and just picked things off the sales rack in a size I hope would fit. Most things were about $3-5. She also picked out a pair of jeans which Guilan had her try on in the middle of the store!



Then we hit the toy department. So many things we have at home and I was glad for Guilan to be there to explain. I was mainly interested in a few things to have in the hotel and for the trip home. Actually most of the stuff I am saving for later. We also bought some CDs and DVDs, a few gifts for others, and then to the pharmacy. I forgot any and all advil or tylenol. So I am trying to explain to everyone what I needed. Someone found a box that does say ibuprofen and it cured my headache, so I guess that was it!



We went to the grocery area to buy milk for snacks, more noodles, and some water and tea for big fat sweating white momma!



I believe the shoppers in Wal Mart are still talking about us tonight, or at least me. I keep thinking when people are staring that it is at Grace and me, but it is actually just me.

We had our shopping cart full!

Finally the total was about $200, but we got things I cannot find anywhere in Dallas and so glad to have them for both girls!

We had a quieter afternoon with our typical lunch of bowls of noodles, except this time I got to have a tuna sandwich and Lay's potato chips!!! It was so delicious!

Tonight I was trying to decide if I could order from Pizza Hut. About that time the doorbell rang and it was Guilan wanting to know if we wanted to go to dinner!

Thanks goodness for her!

We walked to a hotel next door to the pavilion and had another huge meal for about $25. This time I ordered duck for the girls, since we WON'T have it at home. Grace got to eat the tongue, the most prized part. YYUCCKKK!!!!

Grace convinced Wan Yun to take a bath and I hear lots of commotion in there. I'm not sure if she had ever had a bubble bath!

I had Guilan, the guide, ask her tonight when she would let me call her Annabel.

Or if she preferred Annie or Anna or Belle.

She was so confused. She thought her name was Apple!

She has decided she likes Belle, but I expect that to change by morning.

Tomorrow morning we are shopping for souvenirs of porcelain.

Monday we are going to the orphanage. Then onto to Guangzhou for the last leg of the trip. I am worried about how Apple will do on the airplane since she is carsick in taxis.

Pray for us!!! I don't handle throw up well.

2 comments:

Marcie said...

Can we please call her Apple? Just think, if you were in Dallas, you could be helping me move... what fun!
I can't wait for you to get to see the house... it is awesome! Have a safe trip. We miss you! Come home soon!!

Holly said...

Oh, Jerri! How I wish I were there with you! Your slide show of the food at the Gloria Plaza buffet made my mouth water sooooo much! I would eat any of that except the baked beans and whatever the heck black stuff was in the little silver muffin tins. What was that?? Please post more pictures of you three "going places, doing things." What does Apple like to snack on? Does she like the Nanchang packaged meat (sort of like beef jerky) that Lori's Lydia likes? You can get it at Wal-Mart. Did you know there is another grocery and department store pretty close to the Gloria? Go out the right hand side street and keep walking right (away from the Teng Wang) for about 5 blocks. It is on the right side of the street (same side as the Gloria). They have a great little area for getting writing and drawing supplies on the second floor. There is also a Pharmacy there (main floor) and a small "pharmacy only" shop across the street. They might have something that would help Apple Annie's stomach settle with motion sickness. Motion "driving and throwing up" to them. Hee! I dare you! I miss Nanchang!! Lots of love from Colorado. -Holly