Thursday, August 7, 2008

This should have been our celebratory night

I guess we are all tired and tired of living in a hotel, so today started rough. I let the girls sleep so late we could not have the breakfast buffet.

At some point Annabel got mad at Grace about something, went to bed, and covered her head.

We were needing to eat and I told both girls to get dressed and picked out clothes for them.

My ever obedient Grace did as told.

Annabel decided to dig her heels in and show me she was not to be messed with. She just has never had a Texas Momma.

I was going to make her go in her pajamas but at the last second, or nano second she jumped up and got ready slamming doors, throwing things, and basically cussing me under her breath, I guess.

I took her hand and knew English was understood too much, but motherhood is universal. I explained she cannot pout and get her way. We are a family and have to work together.

Within a short time the fuss was over and we were one big happy family again with a good (yuck!) meal from KFC.

Then we shopped for a while in an area we hadn't seen looking for both girls something long sleeved for the flights home. I let them get their nails painted for a whopping 10 rmb each, about $1.25, bought a few gifts and headed back.

Our guide was going to pick us up at 3:00 for the last consulate meeting. Plus we didn't dare miss The Monkey King on TV!!

Even though the number of babies being adopted is considerably lower than in years past, there was a full room today taking their swearing of truthful info in the parent's plans for new children.

We ran into several we had seen in Nanchang, including the couple who now have 3 children less than 17 months old due to a referral of twins and a baby being born after they started the adoption process. The father in the family was in the hospital in Guangzhou with appendicitis. This poor woman had 3 kids under 17 months, husband in hospital, and just her mom to help! Wow! I thank God for taking care of us during this journey.

After 2 1/2 years of paper work, fees, uphill battles, last minute details, and everything else that could go wrong, it was finally right and the adoption was complete and citizenship would be bestowed in LA.

We went back to Shamian Island to buy some dresses and other souvenirs. Only it was too much for me and I couldn't bear the memories those streets provoked. A very nice Chinese woman walked us a long way to a cheaper restaurant with good food, rather than the touristy places.

I knew our Nanchang guide had told Annabel that she could call her foster family at 7:30 and she would call shortly thereafter. I purposely kept us out to miss those calls. An 11 year old cannot comprehend why the only family she has known has deserted her. I read daily the problems families have if their child maintains phone contact with their foster families.

I had hoped to distract her enough to forget.

As soon as she was out of the shower she wanted to call. I reminded her that it was too late.

Tears and so much sadness followed that I gave in to let her call. Only she didn't know how to make the call go through.

I wish at that point I had just shrugged my shoulders and pretended I didn't know how to make the call either. Instead by then she was crying so hard I found someone who could explain how to make the call and give me the codes I needed to get through.

I dialed the number and her foster mother answered and she grabbed the phone and the sorrowful conversation began. She could not talk for crying and everything was in Chinese.

I knew her heart was about to break and I could not help.

I also knew Grace's heart was about to break thinking of her own foster parents.

I made her hang up after 10 minutes and just hope they will take a credit card for the call.

She has cried so hard and screamed and cried for her Bobba (daddy) and Momma.

I knew I meant nothing to her in the face of this loss so just picked her up and put her in the bed and sat beside her.

She has cried and called out their names for over an hour, then reverted to a type of conversation/chant to them for another hour.

Now Grace is wide awake.

I must go so they both can get some sleep and pray for us all some strength for tomorrow and the days ahead.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Oh Jerri - I have loved EVERY bit of your writing, photos and memories. I think you are so brave to face places that bring memories of your beloved sister, and the trip to get Grace. I simply cannot imagine. But, I also think that this is good for your grieving process. It may be hard and more intense during the first two weeks home and all the surface emotions that arise during jet jag. Stay strong and honest and keep talking! You are doing GREAT on so many levels!! You are a wonderful Mama! Safe travel home. Lots of love from Colorado, -Holly