Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Breaking the rules and a recap of Monday

My mom made it through the surgery, but it was much more complicated than they expected. She is to be completely off it for 2 days, which for her is a lifetime, and not go out for 2 weeks, and then full recovery in 6 weeks. She was not a happy camper with that news. I came over early as I thought she might try to get up and take care of things. She tried to get up but suddenly knew why he told her 2 days of bed rest, so she is laying down and the girls are outside playing.

Yesterday seems like a blur and I am ready to get over jet lag. I have read that going west to east is the hardest. (Is that the right direction?)

Most experts and families who have adopted older children, strongly recommend that you stay in for several weeks and allow your family to bond and new child to feel secure, etc.

So in the first 48 hours of being home, we have been to church and my office, which also happens to be the hospital. There were LOTS of people at both places wanting to meet Annabel. Plus my nieces are here so it overall is much more than what you are "supposed" to do.

My dear co-workers had ordered in pizza and salad to take care of everyone who came for Mom's surgery and had a beautiful and delicious cake for Annabel's birthday. That was really confusing, but she liked everyone singing to her.

The girls played bingo with my older adult group while I went to HR to take care of paperwork to get Annabel on insurance, etc.

We came home before Mom was released and the girls played outside. Gillian is such the activities director. She makes up games to ensure everyone is equally involved.

We had another delicious meal provided, so I am relieved of that stress.

I started the process of going to bed earlier and know we need a fairly strong routine for Annabel's sake. Everyone was in bed by 8:30 with no incidents! Yea!

This morning I explained to Grace that we needed to make room for Annabel's clothes in the giant Ikea wardrobe. Ever since she has been pretty mopey about the whole idea of sharing.

More to this story later!

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Grace, I hate sharing a closet too. That's why my clothes closet is in the other room... what a pain!