Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Some humor before breakfast and my new math

Annabel came to breakfast wearing an undershirt some kind person gave her.

She said, "Mom, Grace say pops, I say Pretty, Pretty Princess." This accompanied by pointing to her shirt, hands up with shoulders in a shrug, smiling.

Huh? I had not had coffee and wondered if that would help.

"I'm sorry, I don't understand. What popped?"

"Mmmmooooommmmm, Grace says I Pops (a name she never calls Dad), but I say Pretty, Pretty Princess."

I have to rely on Grace to translate since she is involved in this story.

Grace told her that Poppa (Dad) wears an undershirt like what she was wearing. I had not heard her refer to anything as Pretty, Pretty Princess, so I guess she was saying she looked good even if she was wearing a shirt like Pops!

She was still waiting on her long sleeve shirt to finish drying while Grace spilled milk on her pants, which also got put in the dryer. So for breakfast I had one in an undershirt and pants and the other in shirt and jacket tied around her waist.

How did my mother do this with 4 kids? And there was no such thing as a dryer then? Everything was dried on the clothes line AND it had to be ironed because permanent press was not invented yet (man I am old!!!!). I remember Mom hanging out diapers in the freezing weather and instead of dry they seemed more frozen. At least they did not have to be ironed.

I've been doing some math this morning.

Financially things have been difficult for us. I am not used to that and when I take an accounting of those bills I see:
$ for Annabel's hospital
$ left from Grace's hospital
$ for Annabel's anesthesiologist
$ for Annabel's surgeon
$ for Annabel's consult
$ for Grace's surgeon

Then of all the stupid things, I had an accident on Saturday. No one in my car was hurt. In fact I don't think the girls even realized something had happened until I put the car in park and jumped out. We were only going about 10 m.p.h. in stop and go traffic, but I thought I was lost and looked at my directions once more. That's all it took, of course and I rear ended a car, whose occupants have decided they were injured and gotten an attorney. Thanks goodness for car insurance!!! Anyway, I still have to pay the deductibles and it has gotten me distracted as I need to trade my lease in while it is being repaired and just bite the bullet and buy a car.

OK, too late to make a long story short.

I have to admit these bills have engrossed me in a pity party of sorts. It is just so foreign to me to owe so many so much.

BUT

Today I sat at the breakfast table across from two of the most unbelievable children I have ever met and it dawned on me how very wealthy I am.

The Lord has blessed me so much to trust me with these two precious beings, how could I ever let something like money distract me?

OK, so I am human and I guess we all do sometimes, but I started adding up all the things I do have -
My two daughters
My parents
My family
A home
A job

The list just goes on and on. I regret the time I have spent worrying. I know that Jesus told us that God will take care of us and I guess I kept looking for it through $ without realizing my blessings.

Thank you for being there and caring as well. Maybe your prayers are what opened my eyes. I appreciate your continued prayers on our behalf.

3 comments:

lisa said...

Money drives everything - it seems we can't help it, but I'm really happy to see you've been able to let go of part of the weight of the debt and enjoy your kids.

I'm so glad Annabel and Dad have their type of dress in common! ;)

I'm SO sorry you had an accident!! I feel awful for you. Sometimes it's one thing after another isnt' it?

Marcie said...

Don't forget that you also have a wonderful niece, haha.

I totally feel you on the money issue right now. But penny by penny, we'll pay it off. I know you probably already know this, but hospitals will take any increment you can give monthly. I am paying off my last hospital stay in $35 a month increments! It will take me approximately 20 years to pay it off, but they send me thank you's every month for making my timely payment, hehe.

Holly said...

You certainly ARE a wealthy woman, Jerri! And, reading your comments ... so am I.

It is HARD to trust in a greater plan, but you and I both know for sure that it is true!

So, enjoy what you have! And,keep faith that more will come. I will, too! XXXOOO, Holly