Monday, February 2, 2009

As time goes by....

Today my brother in law's father passed away.

His mom died less than a year ago.

Both were hard working people. His father, once he left the corporate world, moved to the Hill Country and ran a produce stand. Seems like a nice life to me.

But in the end cancer took him and way too soon.

Last Monday was the funeral of a woman that I have known for the majority of my life. She and her sisters gave Mom a shower before Jana was born. That was a long time ago. After her husband died she found a new life in hobbies and friends and getting out and going. She came to our bingo game every Monday. She lived life to the fullest up to the last minute. It was hard to see that empty seat today at bingo.

Our bingo caller has been out for almost a month. She has been very ill. She had cancer in 1956 that no one thought she could recover from, but she had young children and knew she had to. She is one of the hardest working people I know.

One of our strong supporters had very serious surgery today. While he recuperates though, it leaves his wife with no one to help her get in and out of her wheelchair.

Yesterday was my 10 year anniversary at my job. That's the longest I have ever worked in one job for the same company. Some days are harder than others. Some days it is really difficult to leave the worries and concerns for those I work with and for at the job. As time passes more of the people I have met are gone, or their bodies give up, or even worse, their minds do.

But then I come home.

Tonight I had my Tigger and Pooh, my yin and my yang, around the dining room table working on a book for school. They were laughing and talking and working together to achieve their goal.

With them I have a future.

Mom and I were discussing how different my life would have been if I had married either of the last two men I dated. Each had children from relationships that happened long before I knew them, yet I know that my future would have been dictated by those children and their mothers if I had married either.

Wow! when those relationships ended I certainly didn't think it would be good without them, but instead, it has been better!

No comments: