Sunday, February 22, 2009

A splendid weekend!

Since Annabel had such a rough week I was hoping we could do something a little special to make up for it.

I love my Blackberry Curve so I can get emails without sitting down in front of the computer because then I learn about fun things even at the last minute.

This happened Saturday morning.

While we were glad to have the whole day ahead of us, it just seemed like we needed a good activity out of the house too. I got an email about a quilt making class at the Ice House Cultural Center, right in the neighborhood. When I called about the class I was told it was full, but being someone who plans this type of class all the time, I know there are usually a few who do not show up.

The girls greeted the idea eagerly, even Annabel, who I am going to guess, really did not know what a quilt was before Saturday. She liked the idea of cutting and sewing.

The girls have been fortunate to have a great art teacher at Rosemont who has introduced them to LOTS of great mediums including sewing.

When we arrived at the Ice House only 1 person had showed up for the class so we were guaranteed a place! Yippee! I thought I would just observe, but they had the most gorgeous display of some fantastic quilts and I got motivated.

My sewing skills earned me a C on an a-line skirt that took 12 weeks to make in homemaking in high school, so I have never done much sewing since.

But the instructors made this look easy and we were doing free form, so we could do it however we wanted. They had all the supplies and while some labored on selecting just the right fabrics others chose quickly and got started cutting out squares. The instructors commented on how different the girls are and it was so evident in doing something like this, Grace chose each piece of fabric so carefully, drew each square, and cut with deliberation. When she sewed it was at a slow steady pace.

Annabel and I figured out that as long as it had a right angle then it did not matter if it was exact and we whizzed through our sewing like we were in a race.

After 2 hours we still weren't finished but our projects had grown from a planned 10" x 10" square for a cushion cover and ended being the size of a king size bed. We didn't care and were proud of our accomplishments.

We went with Mom and Dad to Lowes to find a replacement for my chaise lounge and enough dirt to plant my new trees and attempts at vegetables. Mom and the girls always like to go to the dollar store while Dad and I like to go to Lowes. I let the girls take some money to spend and they were SO excited about the possibility of buying treasures at the dollar store.

We finished off our great day with dinner at CiCi's. Thanks Mom!

Today proved an even more glorious day with the weather just right.

After church the girls and I went to Tom Thumb to make sure we had enough for their lunches and other special things for the coming week. I don't know how we can go in there with a short list and spend $75!

After lunch the girls helped me with planting my Lemon and Lime trees and my potatoes, onions, garlic, and ginger. I think Dad giggled over the way I was planning to do this but it will be great fun if any of it comes up!

Facing surgery tomorrow has made for lots of last minute details that I think have to be completed! When we used to go to Colorado each summer and as everyone else was packed and ready to go, we had one uncle who insisted on so many last minute details like watering the plants, sweeping out the car, and who knows what else, that the rest of us just had to sit and wait until he was ready.

I feel like I have done the same thing, trying to take care of such important things like planting my potatoes that probably won't grown and washing the girls' coats. None of the things I felt like I HAD to get done were really that important, but some of the things off my mind that have been bothering me. The surgery is not until 2:25, but as usual, nothing to eat or drink after midnight tonight, so I am trying to make sure that I don't wither away in the morning.

Tonight Annabel prayed that my surgery would make me OK, Grace prayed that she would be OK, and then that I would be OK. I love it.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Is your surgery today?