Wednesday, February 11, 2009

You know you are getting old when ...

Your girls get into an argument about whether it is cruel to mention your age.

65 degrees outside makes you put on a jacket!
At 66 degrees then you are sweating!

You spend lunch at a grief support luncheon.

Your child who is still learning English tells you what your present is and you think she means a disposal and you get all excited about that. BUT instead you get a new REALLY DEEP sink and you are just as excited!!! And even more important, you want it to stay spotless like it is today!

You get another clock radio to replace the one you accidentally fried, so now you can see what time it is in the middle of the night!

There are 3 messages on your machine at home and you think it is probably well wishers for your birthday and instead they are messages for your 10 year old daughter.

And your knee isn't relieved even by 2 aleve.

Having Tex Mex 2 days in a row makes you worry that you might end up in the hospital!

But you also get to have a Sprinkles double fudge cupcake with a glass of milk after everyone goes to bed, even though you know you are going to have to get up in the middle of the night!! But at least now I will know what time it is!!

I wrote on my Facebook that this is the first time in a long time that I was actually looking forward to my birthday. My life is so good and each day brings new rewards.

My birthday got started early this year.

Mom made me a delicious homemade German Chocolate Cake, my absolute favorite.

But she decided it wasn't up to par, so we got to eat it Monday after a wonderful meal of chicken and dumplings. The girls were a little confused, but hey, delicious cake is appropriate anytime, right?

On Tuesday my co-workers decided we needed to celebrate since we would all be tied up with our big book sale today. And while they tried to surprised me by inviting Mom and Dad to lunch too, my Dad doesn't keep a secret very well. But they took me to one of my absolute favorites, La Calle Doce, so life was so good.

Then about the time I was thinking they couldn't fool me, I get a call for an emergency meeting, which sounded serious. I practically run out of the office into a set up for a surprise party! All our great volunteers and co-workers were there. And another delicious German Chocolate Cake!!!

Annabel surprised me the most with a cute card she made.

The weather forecasters got it right that there was a bad storm coming last night. About the time the girls got settled down and just about asleep, the tornado sirens sounded and hail started pounding the windows. Their room has 6 windows and I couldn't stand for them to be that far from me, so I woke them up and put them in my bed. Just a couple of weeks ago they were able to share a twin bed and Grace and I have shared her twin bed too, but my queen bed suddenly was too small for them. And about the time they finally got settled in and questions about God and storms were covered AGAIN, the storm was through.

So my bed is filled to capacity, the storm is past, so I end up on the couch!

Tonight though Annabel decided that I could give her a kiss good night since it was my birthday. I had told her that in the US that the moms got to get their kids birthday spankings on their birthday, but instead she let me give her 53 hugs and kisses!!

Life is so good!

No comments: