Thursday, February 19, 2009

Turn the other cheek

As I tucked the girls into bed last night, Annabel started opening up about some things that are taking place at school.

It seems that she is the recipient of mean and rude remarks, as well as taunting and teasing about everything from how she talks, the fact she is Chinese, the food she chooses to eat, and I guess just about everything else.

Grace chimed in that she too continues to have people making fun, starting fights, and overall making her life miserable at times.

The more specific they got in what is being said, the madder I got. I was ready to storm off to school this morning and fight their battles for them, or maybe wrap them in bubble wrap to protect them, or tell them mean things to say back.

It seems that a lot of the derision is said in Spanish and then causes everyone to erupt in laughter.

Like I said, I was so angry, so my initial suggestions won't be recorded. No need to focus on the negative and I was VERY negative.

After they went to sleep, I stewed on this for a long time. A LONG time! I knew that I was seeing just one side of the situation and know that Annabel can be pretty good at taking care of herself, but still needed to find a way to help them through this situation that was appropriate not just for elementary school but for life. Now I am not the best to be giving advice on something like this, but have learned that just because someone is unhappy with themselves, does not mean they can make me dissatisfied with myself.

So this morning we talked about it again.

I explained that a lot of times when someone says something mean, it can usually suggest that they are very unhappy, jealous, or a lot of other things causing them to lash out at others.

I suggested instead of trying to find a way to "get even" we need to pray for them, for whatever is causing them to react the way they do. We need to follow Jesus' teaching that if someone strikes us on one cheek, we turn the other to him also. Hard concept and Annabel was listening closely.

I suggested we start with practicing this at home and only say nice things to each other, getting into the habit of thinking the best. Shoot, I guess that means I have to be nice too. Just kidding.

No comments: