Monday, February 16, 2009

Family



My mom, my aunt, and 6 of the kids.

Mike, Becky, Kathy (looking for sharks), Lisa, me.

Auntie Dora is on the left and Mom is on the right.

I am the only one standing and facing the camera with

her tummy sticking out and the beautiful haircut done by placing a bowl on your head.

Here my cousin Dubby is excited because he pinched me, I bit him,
then I got pulled out of the baby bed screaming!


They never let me play! Kathy is on the floor, then Lisa and Becky behind.

Dubby was everyone's baby, even his sister Kathy!

These kids are just pretending to be good.
From left to right is Kathy, Mike (in the back), Kathy, and Lisa.
I was probably off eating something!

When we were growing up, our aunt and uncle and cousins lived around the corner from us. Almost everything we did something together.

Mom dropped us off at their house on her way to the hospital to have each of my younger siblings. I remember jumping out of the car with no long goodbyes. I didn't know she wasn't coming back soon and when she did she would come back with another kid!

My cousin, Dubby, is a lot younger than me, NOT!!! He is only 2 weeks younger but you would think it was 20 years. Kathy and Lisa were the same age. Becky and Mike were older and gave us a glimpse of what being a teenager in the 60's was like. Becky provided me with a picture of Elvis which was highly treasured. I think she had every Tiger Beat printed so there were plenty of Fabian, Elvis, and all the others on her wall. Mike taught us about Vespas and then hot rods. I'll never forget the time that the cops stopped him when he left the motor running so he could run into a store. They thought he was going to rob it. He knew if he killed the motor it would not start again.

With a cousin like Dubby in your class, you could be guaranteed that someone would fight your battles for you even if it was against another girl! Dubby also taught me to be resourceful and when we wanted a popsicle, we would scour the neighborhoods for discarded bottles to redeem for their deposit. If we couldn't find enough, then Mrs. Moore, the owner of the store, would be sure she split it evenly between us.

I'm still banned from traveling through the alleys though because we were caught riding our bikes through them. My girls think that is hysterical that I won't even venture into the same alleys. I mind my mother very well!!

Dubby and I shared everything including going to the bathroom together, which provided our current names for male and female anatomy. So when Darcey was injured the other day, I had to explain the facts of life using these very incorrect anatomical terms. Annabel comments on Ollie, the dog's, frequently now with the new terms. I am sure I should correct them, but I actually believed you had a bottomend, since that was what my mom called it.

As we grew up then we all started going different directions.

While Gillian and Darcey lived so close, it brought back memories of how we grew up with cousins just around the corner.

Soon after Lisa, Gillian, and Darcey arrived Saturday, our cousins Becky and Kathy and Kathy's granddaughter, Audrey came for a visit. I cannot believe Kathy is old enough for grandkids, but at least she finally got her a girl. Kathy and Becky both have 2 sons, so they missed the fun of buying girly girl things for their kids. But what a cutie she has.


Grace holding Audrey.

I know it is grainy but I took it with my phone and the sun was streaming in behind them.

We enjoyed our visit and catching up and getting to know Audrey.

Lisa needed to do some Valentine's Day shopping for her husband, Ken. When your husband is a state trooper you choose a different kind of place to shop, so we made our way to Smitty's, the local gun store! I think I might get a part time job there. It is obviously where men hang out. Now if I could just find a man named Tom Smith.

Then on to shopping for my birthday present.

With my new deck, obviously the only choice would be found at a nursery.

Calloways provided an Eden and source of too many choices.

My new lemon and lime trees will be perfect additions for my deck. I had no idea that they smelled so wonderful while in bloom. Now we just can't have another freeze though! Otherwise they will be coming inside with us!

When we got home we found Dad cooking! It is still such a shock that I always have to comment on it. Steaks and shrimp for a birthday dinner. Yum! I think this is the longest I have made my birthday last in a long time and I think everyone is tired of it!

They always leave too soon and their leaving produces lots of tears from Grace. She loves Gillian so much and it hurts to lose her each time. For Annabel, it has a different feel because she feels left out once Gillian gets here. So it leaves me trying to explain that it is important for Annabel to find her place within the dynamics and to remember that Darcey also can feel left out. Rather than forcing Grace to change, I do think it is important for Annabel to learn to join groups. While she has friends at school she still feels the outsider. I also explained to Grace the importance of explaining things to Annabel, to help her not feel left out. I know the conversation goes pretty fast, as Gillian can talk up a storm at a high rate of speed, so while Annabel has made great progress in learning English, she does have trouble keeping up, especially with slang.

When I was growing up and my best friend suddenly dropped me for another best friend, I was devastated. Mom's soundly advice was to find someone else who did not have a friend, and be their friend.

I try to impart this wisdom on my girls, but so far not having too much success. I'll keep trying. Also I know their self esteem has to be sound so they do not feel it is necessary to always be part of a group. Even as an adult it hurts to not be part of the "popular" crowd. My crazy friends at one job always said that we were the popular table and everyone else wanted to be with us. It was the only time that I was ever in that group. Still good friends, but still crazy!!!

I don't know how to get rid of this extra copy of this picture, so I just put it at the end!

1 comment:

lisa said...

We were pretty darned cute weren't we? ;)