Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Who planned this?

Some days you think if you can just get through your work day then you will go home and ....... You can fill in the blank because you are sure that you will have a relatively quiet evening, the worst that can happen is washing an extra load of clothes, quick trip to the store, etc.

I've heard recently that to make God laugh, make plans.

So yesterday afternoon I'm talking to dad about something relatively unimportant when he casually mentions that they had had a rather tough day.

It took a while to get the details out, but seems that they were in the parking lot of the local Wal Mart when a woman was looking down, rather than the crowd she was headed into, and hit mom and Mom landed on her hood.

Of course Mom's big concern was not hurting the woman who hit her feelings.

Annabel and Grace sprang into action as nurse and caretaker providing ice packs, cold drinks, and wet washcloths. I prepared dinner and had to fight with mom the whole time trying to keep her still.

After considerable badgering from one of their children, Mom and Dad finally broke down and went to the ER to have Mom checked out.

The doctor was shocked and glad to announce that nothing was broken. He could not believe that mom had ended up on the hood of a car with only deep tissue bruising, sprains, and strains.

A prescription of "taking it easy" is a waste but I know mom didn't feel too good since she let me good dinner again.

The girls had been given a math assignment almost a month ago, so thankfully they waited until tonight to get started, the night before it was due! So while I am trying to fry chicken, then I am explaining to Annabel what we are doing and why.

The assignment was to record the amount of time it took to melt an ice cube, prepare a chart/graph of the variations, and draw your conclusions from your hypothesis. Again, pretty difficult to explain, so I had Annabel dictate to me what she wanted to say about the experiment. I think we need a lot more time on the reading and translating end of learning a new language.

1 comment:

lisa said...

I think I can do with a little less of this kind of excitement! I'm sooo grateful Mom is ok and really appreciate all you're doing to take care of her. :)