Tuesday, January 6, 2009

FOUND or abandoned

This morning, without even thinking, I grabbed one of my calcium pills that had been laying on the table for several days and swallowed it.

Afterward I commented that I was reminding myself of Mom.

Annabel asked, "You mean Grammy? Or another mother? Do you have more than one mom?"

No, I only have one mom.

Annabel - "Then why do Grace and I have so many moms?"

OK, good question and a very difficult one to answer in a short amount of time while they were having their good morning soup. One that we will need to come back to, probably time and time again.

Last night Grace had a nightmare.

Against my better judgment I laid down with her for a little while in hopes that she would go back to sleep.

While we were laying there I thought about what a sweet little baby she is for me and my mind wandered back to China.

I thought about the many families who seek out the location of where they child was found, probably with less emphasis on where they were abandoned, but rather FOUND!

My thoughts continued to drift, as we had discussed going to see the pandas in China some day, and from there I wondered about trying to locate where my daughters had been FOUND.

But it was late and instead I began to think about where they had been abandoned.

There is a lot of difference in the idea of FOUND and abandoned, the difference of hope and future, of love and life. For abandoned it is all uncertainty. None of us know the circumstances that led the birth mothers of these two sweethearts to make such a difficult decision as to abandon their babies.

It gave me some comfort to know that Grace was found in May and Annabel in July, so hopefully the weather was warm.

I hope they were placed just before they knew someone would discover them.

Were they put there by a family member or the mother? Where was the father? Did the birth parents have a choice? Was this a child that they loved and cherished but could not care for? Was the mother too young? The father lost?

I think about a tiny baby and how vulnerable they are, how open to risks and dangers their little bodies must have been.

But God took care of these two darlings.

He watched when no one else could and saw that they were FOUND!!! not just abandoned. And while I did not know what my future would hold even 5 years ago, God was with me and perhaps nudged me or maybe just pushed me to be the mother who FOUND her daughters.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Great post. I love thinking about the fact that God has a plan for my life that will absolutely shock and astound me a few years from now. I am so glad to have Grace and Annabel as my cousins!