Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No School!

When I got our gas bill last month I was shocked at the price and decided that I needed to adjust the thermostat down at night and keep it lower while we weren't here. Plus Annabel has been complaining about being hot at night. Probably I should have done it after this ice storm, but at 6:00 a.m. this house was cold!! But I got up and as soon as I turned on the TV the announcement that DISD had cancelled class was made.

It has to be pretty bad for DISD to close school, but all the other districts throughout north Texas had closed too. I read where the President was surprised that the Washington DC schools had closed. Obviously he has never been in Texas during an ice storm. If we don't close down, then the number of wrecks, and injuries is so high that it's not worth it!

But Grace and Annabel were not so sure that I was telling them straight.

I'm not sure how many times they asked me if everyone was out of school or just them. I wonder if they had snow days in China? Last year at this time most of China was hit hard with one of the worst snow storms in history. There were areas that were cut off from power and supplies and the need for support was huge. Yet Annabel thinks that it is colder here.

Tonight I was going through all my records on the adoptions trying to find what I need for registration for the new school. I had forgotten about some of the pictures I had received of Grace. Every picture of these little tiny kids show them so bundled up that their arms are sticking straight out.

I think I know why Annabel has been hot at night, she probably has 3 layers of clothes on! It certainly makes for a lot of laundry too. But this is what she is used to and actually how it is suggested that you dress. For me, I am just ready to hang up the coat and wait for summer!

I know I had some great plans for us to do if we had an ice/snow day, but instead I tried to fight off a cold? sinus infection? bronchitis? and slept most of the day while the girls watched TV non stop. Annabel got to see 2 of Grace's all time favorites, Lion King and Lion King 2. When we first got home Grace would watch Lion King up to 3 times in one day if I let her. She always had lots of questions to ask and now Annabel started the questions. Her big question was why did the little lion roar so softly an the big lion roar so loudly.

After a long quiet sedentary day, I knew that we needed to get out and move around. Since it was still so cold outside, I tried to think of a good indoor playground, so we went to McDonald's for dinner. I knew they had finally done enough when Annabel came over and told me her foot was tired. Not feet, but foot.

Annabel is still having problems with her pronouns and as she told me a story about her teacher, he switched from him to her to he and she. You really have to pay attention and make sure new characters were not thrown in.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I hope you are well on your way to restored good health, Jerri! We have that pronoun issue with Irene, too. You are so right! It is HARD to follow a story when the he and she keep changing. That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that she WILL NOT learn does and doesn't. She only uses do and don't. She is SUCH a smart girl, but when she tells me that her teacher don't have thus-and-such ... sigh! LOL! I am constantly gently reminding her of the words does and doesn't. :-) Her ELL teacher is totally impressed with her, so I know she is doing great with her English. OH - About snow in Nanchang. It don't snow there. ER ... it DOESN'T snow there. LOL! Only once in a blue moon (or less). We were there in December in 2005 and needed coats sometimes, but other times it was just cool (to us - of course, it was MINUS 18 when we left for China on that trip! LOL!). Has Annabel ever seen snow before? I know she got to travel a little bit. If she ever got to head north, maybe she got to see snow in China. Love to you all! Keep writing!! XXXOOO, Holly

Marcie said...

Hey Jer,
FBA is doing a production of Annie the first weekend in March. I am helping with the sets and the props, and I thought that the girls might really like it. What do you think?