Saturday, January 10, 2009

It's BASKETBAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

I feel like Suzie Homemaker with a peach cobbler in the oven, my order of organic fruits and vegs by me, and my two girls getting showered and ready.

I love a day like today even though I have not gotten my long list of things accomplished.

Last night Dad answered my call for a drill by doing the work rather than just loaning the equipment! I had bought a closet system to put in the girls' closet. It had been just this big square with no shelves or hanging rods. Now it has both and with Dad's help, it was a easy project. I know if I had done it I would still be on the first page of the directions.

We started going through the girls' clothes to find what needed to be hung up, folded, clean, dirty, too big, too small. Lots of stacks without finding an end in sight. Yes it was a priority to finish today but too many other things ended up being more fun, so it was pushed till tomorrow.

We picked up our first organic produce order this morning. A wonderful person on an email group offered her organic russet potatoes at Thanksgiving. I was lucky enough to get them. I had no idea how much the REAL taste of vegetables had been lost through the processing they now go through. These reminded me more of what we would "dig" from Grandmother Locke's garden.

So when the opportunity to join the organic coop came up, I jumped at it.

The girls grabbed the very heavy container to carry to the car. It is so nice to have help sometimes.

Now I have to make a brief aside.

This week, my co-worker Gloria bought donuts for the office. For some reason they were not all eaten and she sent them home.

I offered Annabel one and she said she did not like donuts. But without stopping for a breath, asked what donuts were. She tried a sugar covered one and found her new favorite food. She had a second on her walk to school and asked if she could have one when she came home.

This morning she had the last one with her "good morning soup" then asked why we no more donuts. Best guess is it is not something we normally buy, but since I knew we had errands to run promised one at the grocery store.

So the vegetable stop was tolerated with the anticipation of choosing her own donut.

I reminded her of the "cake" we had in China that was actually more like biscuits with chives and other assorted vegetables. Not sweet for sure.

We dropped off half of the produce order to our new sweet friend who sent her husband to repair my dishwasher a couple of months ago. She has the sweetest baby and the girls were very entertained with him and their two dogs.

All I really wanted to eat today were tater tots from Sonic. I could just taste them!

But I felt rather guilty having good fresh ingredients knowing the girls and I could benefit more from them, so I made a big pot of spicy chicken noodle soup. Annabel pronounced that she did not like it and then ate 3 bowls.

The rest of the day has been spent in the kitchen and cleaning and washing.

We are on our way to our friends' house for dinner.

Annabel has announced she does not want to return to Chinese school, so more later.

1 comment:

Holly said...

LOL!! Irene commonly has three helpings of "No Thank You." :-)
XXXOOO-Holly