Sunday, January 11, 2009

I haven't completely lost my mind, maybe

I labeled the last entry as Basketbaaallll but forgot to explain why.

Our good friends gave Annabel an MP3 player before we even left for China. For some reason i thought this was a MUST have, probably because every little girl here has one, but wasn't important to Annabel until recently.

On it was a great mix of Disney favorites including several by Hannah Montana.

Just recently Annabel has taken an interest in these shows on Disney and recognizes the names and voices and UNDERSTANDS what they are saying.

For all the Hannah Montana fans, you know her theme song, "The Best of Both Worlds" but if you aren't sure of the words, then you put in words you do know which makes the song's words "Basketbaaaalllll!" at the top of your lungs since you have on headphones. It was quite entertaining.

We had a great time at our friends' house last night with a good dinner and great company.

They sent a bag of movies, books, cds, and another bag of clothes.

I think they hit the jackpot as two of the movies have already been watched, Annabel is sleeping in new warm pajamas, and Grace was reading one of the books.

It's great to have good friends who will share!!

We were late getting to our friends' house because of all the primping and fashion going on.

One of the main reasons I got nothing accomplished yesterday is because Grace and Annabel got into their room and started really playing. I just can never break that up. I was explaining to someone else today that Grace really did not know how to play. I think her foster mother must have used the TV as her only entertainment. She does well if someone else initiates the play but has trouble playing creatively on her own. So with Annabel the two come up with new games and pulling out toys that have sat for a while and don't realize how much bonding is going on.

When it was time for their shower, Grace announced that she had helped Annabel put together an outfit. I should have grabbed my camera as both had their hair up and "inspired" outfits. They repeated it for church today too. I had to brag on how great they looked after all the work that went into it!

Annabel and I talked at length about Chinese school.

She mentioned that they gave too much homework.

I refuted her point with the fact that she always got it completed on Sunday.

She went a little further and said sometimes she did not do too well on her homework. I would not know because I cannot help her out, but evidently her teacher did not mind pointing out her faults and she felt that he was "mad" at her, not mean, but mad.

At that point I knew what she meant. It seems there is a level of achievement that most Chinese families expect their children to reach and that is why they are so successful, because they work so hard. But, I am afraid, we don't quite push as much.

It has been difficult at times when we run into someone who speaks Chinese and they engage Annabel in a lengthy conversation. I don't know what is being said and only rarely does the adult translate for me. But the other day Annabel asked if I would not introduce her to people and tell them she can speak Chinese. She does not like these long conversations.

Back to my point, these people who pull her into these conversations as well as perhaps her teacher, set the standards that a typical Chinese family have for her as well. They have a tendency to chastise her and scold her about things, which if I could understand what they were saying, would never allow. I think they feel it is their obligation to impress on her their "standards".

And so she is tired of it.

I think part of what she is discovering about her new life is the ability to self monitor, that I trust her to make good choices, but will continue to provide guidance and direction when and where she needs it, but I want her to also get to be a child and enjoy this time of her life.

I explained part of that to her last night and we agreed that we would not pursue Chinese school for now. Maybe later when she is in 6th grade. Who knows, maybe never. I pushed Grace into going to Chinese school for 2 1/2 years and she hated every minute of it and in the end did not have much to help her in communicating in China.

Prayers tonight included asking God for a good week. My prayer too.

No comments: