Thursday, November 27, 2008

Annabel's First Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving, like Halloween, is a holiday with nothing comparable in China.

So it makes it more than difficult to explain even why we have Thanksgiving, the meaning, the history, and our interpretation of it.

She was much more focused on a lot of food and family and that's all that really mattered!

Gillian was the big help in the kitchen willing to take on any chore, recipe, or sampling needed. She does quite well and I think more than anything enjoys the company in the kitchen, learning from the teacher, Grandmother!

While Gillian, Mom, and I were cooking, the other three entertained themselves with roller skating. Dad made sure they made it up there and back safely, which resulted in bruises on Dad's arms.

As much as she looks forward to these gatherings, I think they are pretty difficult for Annabel.

She loves to be around everyone, but the conversations can go so quickly that she can't keep up. Even with the other three girls it is difficult. I realized that at home and even at Mom and Dad's, we allow her time to tell a story, which takes a long time, and we take the time to explain everything to her.

I know her hearing has improved greatly, or seems to have, but with the fevered pitch of so many voices on so many levels, I think it makes it more difficult for her to hear.

So out of our 4 girls, then I have a special concern for each. Annabel's you read about often. For Grace, she is so torn between her new life as a sister, but the comfort and love she feels for Gillian, especially, but also Darcey. For Gillian, I am hyper vigilant that something will be said or done that could hurt her, memories that are painful. She asked me to help her out when someone asks too many questions, questions she doesn't know the answers to. I told her my promised to do everything I can to ensure she is never sad, but for so many things, I cannot protect her, like love, which causes a certain amount of sadness. I just wish I could be there for her more often.

That leaves Darcey. Darcey is the reason I have my daughters. Her kind and sweet spirit touched me and motivated me to pursue adoption. At times, Darcey comes over and just throws her arm around me and leans her head on my shoulder. I realized tonight that Gillian was giving her cues about not talking too much or too loud during dinner. She really doesn't need this direction, as she is so quiet and so subdued. She actually went back to bed for a little while this morning. I don't think I have ever seen her do that.

But with the four girls, there is a new dynamic. Gillian and Grace continue to be pals, almost as if they are a LOT older than the other two (even though Gillian and Annabel are only 2 days apart!) and Darcey and Annabel are a new team. Annabel insisted on Darcey trying to skate. She also tried to get her to ride her bike. She makes sure Darcey has her food and drink and a place to sit. She watches over her as if she is her big sister! It is very sweet.

Tomorrow we are heading to Austin to visit Lisa for her birthday and spend the night. OK, that isn't easy to explain either, but I think she understands enough. Once I mentioned Jiangxi and sleep, she understood and packed her clothes.

I am later getting this completed tonight trying to find the online "Black Friday" deals. I feel frustrated and don't even know where to start. The girls pored over all the ads and circled and marked all the "must haves" for Christmas. Only each one seems to start at $50. If these are big sales, I need bigger!

No comments: