Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's been a while

This is the longest I have gone without posting and lots has gone on in a week.

Our country has made history with the election of a new president. This in some ways has caused a number of concerns for me. Not who was elected, but with Annabel's lack of comprehension of English, I did not try to explain the situation to her. Yet here she is living through history. I worry about when she will catch up. Social studies, science, are not being taught, other than what she can absorb through observation.

In their classroom they had a mock election last week.

The teacher strongly emphasized her choice of candidates which caused Grace considerable questions wanting to know who I planned to vote for, how would I decide, and just what did it all mean.

Grace knows little about the current president, but can tell you all about the Civil Rights Movement.

I have to admit, I just feel more pressure to make up for the "holes" in their education based on their lack of comprehension of English. I don't know if they can catch up. So many borrowed worries!!!

Annabel is seeing differences in her hearing.

She complains daily about things being too loud.

I don't know how long it has been since she could hear about of both ears. But this adjustment for her has been difficult.

Our first week without daylight savings time has been difficult.

Almost every night we have had errands to run, meetings to attend, doctor's and dentist's appointments. This has interferred with our bike riding. Which has interferred with working some of Annabel's energy out before bedtime.

Starting next week the girls will be able to participate in after school programs. For Annabel we chose basketball, golf, and tennis, along with computer. Grace chose Jeopardy, arts and crafts, computer, and science. I am so glad that Annabel will have the opportunity to explore some sports. She shouted Woo! Hoo! when we acted out basketball.

We plan to meet Ms. Wu tomorrow evening for a church meeting conducted in Chinese. Annabel can't wait! Hopefully we can also meet up with an old friend as well as do a drive by of my first home. A lot of memories in the town of Denton.

Part of my distraction this week has been an effort to set up a blog to record memories about my sister Jana who passed away almost 2 years ago. I still haven't accomplished that and need help in how to allow others to post to it. I have also identified a planter at the girls' school that needs a LOT of work and plan to do that this weekend. Balancing the present and the past while worrying about the future has worn me out this week.

I'm wondering if I post an email address on this blog if that would provide some of you a place to send us a message? I need more information before making that choice.

1 comment:

Marcie said...

Email me the password, and I will give myself and Lisa permission to write on that blog like we can on yours now. I think you will have to have a blogger account to be able to write, but you could set up an email address that is not your personal email where people could send in their writing and you could post it for them.