Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm so glad that we had a quiet night because that didn't last long.

On Thursday we had parent teacher conferences, dessert for the teachers, piano class, and then on to the theater!

That doesn't even count visiting the book fair.

Yesterday was also report card day, which was the topic of discussion for the parent teacher conferences. No one can really explain why Annabel's grades continue to be higher than Grace's. The teacher did mention that Annabel tells him no when he tells her to do something. OK, that is not correct and I told him that. She has gotten a lot of attention by being "different" and almost treated like the class "pet". But to be successful she must learn to do what she is told, even though for now it is a different language. She understands basic direction. I regret that any teacher has misunderstood that I think Annabel is "hands off". Far from it.

Schools in China, as well as life for the children in the SWI (orphanage) is very structured. I have been reading interviews with children in China who are eligible for adoption. A comment has been made more than once that they seem to have no concept of time or no interest in what time it is. BECAUSE they have no choices of how they will spend their time. It is structured, there is someone to tell you. Free time is not a normal part of the day. Grace and Annabel have a lot of trouble with "down" time. Whereas most American born children stay distracted with other activities while doing an activity, they can immediately break away and go to that other activity. For Grace she goes to reading, her math work book, or playing the piano. Annabel plays with the dogs, but she is looking for something else, something to play with maybe. When we check out the books in Chinese from the library, she has them read within a few days. I know she needs to be making the adjustment to books in English, but she really does not have enough recognition and comprehension of those words to read. PLUS very simple books are written for much younger children.

Anyway, back to Thursday.

Grace continues to excel in piano. I am so impressed with her ability. She loves to practice and seems to catch the teacher's instructions immediately. The teacher's son rode with us to their house again. Little boys have got a great imagination!!

I had posted a request for free or low cost tickets to upcoming events to our early childhood PTA. I know we used to have a ticket office that sold tickets for half price the day of the event.

But we got even better as my old friend invited us to a parents only preview of Madeline Christmas at the Dallas Children's Theater.

How do you explain live theater?

I called it a DVD. I told Annabel that we were going to watch a DVD. She was OK with that.

When we got there I tried to explain a little more showing the picture of the girl on the program and motioning talking, etc.

Annabel sat on the edge of her seat the entire time.

When they would dim the lights for scenery changes, she would ask , "that all?". No, there as more. During intermission, she came running to me for a pen and paper and did a quick math problem to let me know how many seats were in the auditorium.

She and Grace enjoyed the whole performance. They thought it was excellent! Me too!

Both are fighting a cold and I am glad that school is out for a week. We have another Saturday with little to do, which helps since my expense check did not get processed!

Tonight Annabel had Grace reading one of her Chinese books. Annabel compliments Grace each time on how well she does in reading her Chinese. Annabel will stop and explain parts of it and then Grace will explain other parts as it relates to life here. I am so glad they have each other. They are a good team.

1 comment:

Holly said...

It has been tooooo long since I checked in here! I missed you all! I love LOVE hearing about Annabel's (first?) experience with live theater! I love LOVE hearing about Grace and Annabel reading Chinese books together. I just love the whole thing. Keep talking! XXXOOO, Holly