Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This was my last grief support group meeting, which meant I didn't get home until around 6:30.

The girls were at Mom and Dad's, of course. What I was not expecting to find was the entire group at the dinner table and what was left of a big platter of steak. If you ever want to find a bargain, shop with Dad. He can get anything for 1/10 of what the rest pay!!

Mom and Dad now know why I am buying so many groceries. My girls acted like they had not eaten in weeks and kept asking for more. But in the middle Annabel started making plans on lunch tomorrow. She has started claiming the leftovers before anyone has finished eating! Grace has learned the drill too and it was just as well that I was not hungry. I missed out on most of the meal except some green beans! They could not think of a way to take them to school.

When we came home, Annabel had a list of words she needed to learn. She explained that the teacher had not had time to tell her what the words were. So even though she had been practicing writing them, she did not know what they said, or what they meant. I don't know how anyone learns English. Last night one word was "pencil". With the c having an "s" sound. Tonight she had cap, with a hard "c". Learning phonetically does not seem to be working. The word ring stumped her every time.

I think it was about at this point that Grace got so frustrated trying to learn English. I remember talking to her and explaining that it would be so much easier when she learned to speak English. Grace's response was, "English? What English?" It had not dawned on her what the problem was. Annabel is old enough to understand, but that does not make it any easier.

Last night we met a group from church at Golden Corral for the vet appreciation dinner. When you can have all you can eat from a wide variety of food, Grace chose buttered noodles and Annabel had 2 chicken legs! I don't think we got our money's worth on that meal. But we were safe from packing a lunch because they planned to buy their lunch.

Sunday I started working on the planter at the girls' school. I hoped to update it in memory of Jana. When you first look at it you don't realize how big it is. But working to clear the weeds, undergrowth, etc, it seemed to grow. The girls were riding their bikes, but came back to help. They pitched in loading up the trimmings and stomping it down to fit more.

Saturday was a great day with a long list of errands, but a smart mom (me!!) deciding we needed a day at home. My uncle was coming with his new wife, daughter, and long time friend. We were glad to meet the latest additions to our family. It got a little confusing though since the daughter's name is Grace. After they left, Annabel tried to tell about Grace and would start with Grace, but not my sister Grace, the other Grace. Sometimes trying to get into the conversation takes longer than the actual conversation.

No comments: