Monday, November 10, 2008

Congee and how did I get here?

Trying to post seems more difficult now and I am not sure why.

I have it all planned out in my mind while preparing dinner or cleaning up and then when I finally sit down, I think my brain is fried and don't want to appear boring, so I don't say anything. Which is just so totally not like me.

My life has changed so much that when I sit back and take account of it I can do nothing but thank God for where He has brought me.

There have been so many circumstances in the last few months where I realized I had choices to make, two roads to choose, and at the time wondered how and why I chose the one I did.

I can see even from here, that with some subtle changes I would not have arrived in this place. I thank God for guiding me when I was not sure. I thought I wanted the white picket fence, with 2.5 kids, and a husband who watched every football game. Instead He had a different path, a different purpose.

How God chose to bless me with the daughters He picked in a country so far away is amazing. So I don't have the white picket fence, the husband, or the .5 child (unless the 2 dogs count!), but I have an amazing life with two wonderful daughters.

Now don't think it is all sugar and spice and everything nice. In fact we have joked that Annabel is "sweet and sour" and Grace is "spicy" in reference to the seasonings that go with Chinese food. But when you put these flavorings on your food, it makes it so much better.

Our days start in a way I NEVER could have imagined.

Grace was up at 6:33 a.m. so she could get dressed and out of the room first. She has evidently woken up several mornings "left" alone and wants Annabel to understand how it feels. I don't think Annabel will get the message though.

Before I can wash my face, Grace has started their breakfast, my coffee, and working on her lunch.

Who is this child?

Last year she and I slept until 7:33 a.m. and barely made it to school for the tardy bell.

Grace and Annabel enjoy their chicken noodle soup after toasting their bread for sandwiches. Still the craziest lunches in the world. I need to find some thermoses so they could take noodles, but the cheapest I have seen are about $10.

Poppa has been taking them to school giving me a few minutes to get out the door myself.

I vaguely remember a time when no one depended on me to get up and breakfast was never chicken soup.

This week they were to start an after school program and not be home until 5:00. I actually had the idea I would get home and ride my bike before they got home. And cook dinner, maybe make some homemade noodles and sew a few dresses. OK, so I am not Frances, our neighbor who could accomplish that before anyone else woke up!

Instead I made a quick detour for more fruits and vegetables, something we run out of often, then barely home as they arrived.

Communication is still such an issues and even though I thought Annabel understood, she decided did not want to stay for the golf/tennis class and began to cry. Talking to her later I realized that she just did not understand that the coach would be there shortly and when he had not arrived in what she thought was a reasonable amount of time decided she wanted to go home. Grace walked her home and I am just glad that Mom was here to meet them.

Grace stayed for Jeopardy and enjoyed it very much. She tried to remember EVERY single question!!

I don't know if this is the way that all the older children are, but mine do not know how to fill "down" time. They need guidance in what to do if there is not a structured environment. I am guessing there were not a lot of freedoms in the group home and/or SWI.

So since everyone was through with homework and they could not decide what to do I put them to work.

They peeled, cut, and sliced all the vegetables into a big pot of chicken soup. Seems to be the only thing I can think of that everyone will eat.

They wanted to do more!

I meant to cut up only one avocado for the soup, but ended up with a big bowl of guacamole instead since each wanted to peel and dice!

Afterward we put the rice cooker to a new challenge - making congee.

When Jana first adopted Darcey I remember her talking about the babies eating congee. I thought it sounded so odd and no one seemed to know for sure what was in it.

One of my older adult couples, who are originally from China, tried to tell me how to prepare congee today. Yesterday at the Chinese restaurant, the waitress tried to tell me. I think something was lost in the translation though as Annabel told me to soak the rice for 1 year, rather than maybe one night.

We will know for sure in the morning. I couldn't find that dried shredded pork so we are using dried shredded beef.

The weather was changing and I wanted a front row seat. I convinced the girls to meet me on Grandmother and Poppa's porch and see if they would come out too.

Before I knew it I was the only one left waiting on the weather to change and the storms to arrive. I found them all in the den watching the end of "Antiques Roadshow". Who are these people?? Grandparents and granddaughters watching Antique Roadshow together on a school night! With a major storm blowing through!

The weather didn't change fast enough and everyone had to go to bed anyway.

Mom and I talked about how the girls behaved on their trip to Paris to meet Aunt and Uncle. Mom said that Annabel took my oldest aunt's arm as she tried to get out of the car and walked her all the way into the house. Grace took care of my cousin's daughters and both entertained themselves while the adults talked. Mom was so proud of them. I am too.

I know we are still in our honeymoon period with Annabel. I know we are probably facing some difficult times ahead, but right now I want to enjoy this life that this road took me to.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Aw, this is a great post to read today of all days! I told Dad last night that Annabel is your Jana. She was picked for you to take Jana's place because look at the changes she has brought you! Besides so much love and affection, you're actually getting them to school on time! Jana would be so proud. ;) Yes, today of all days I can tease you about something she would say. This much I know - she would be SO proud of you! I'm off to ask my kindergarten Chinese friend how to make congee. :)

lisa said...

Hmm, 1,000 yr old eggs sliced into the rice soup and then dried or ground pork added and cooked forever and a day...sounds...divine...Maybe Annabel was right when she said to let the rice sit for one year! ;)