Friday, September 12, 2008

09/11 is Poppa's Birthday!


Yesterday was Dad's birthday.

We decided we needed a special celebration and invited a few of his nearest and dearest friends. You know you are well loved when 40 people come and that was from just a couple of groups you are involved with! Plus if you have those who are aged 98 to 8 months, then you have a broad base of fans too!!

I had tried to explain to Annabel about the birthday party for Dad. I don't think she had completely understood.

She came to me at one point and kept saying "seven", "seven", "Mom, seven"! My best guess is that seven people had arrived because then she went and began counting people coming through the door.

My co-worker brought her baby, who is such a cutie, and Grace claimed him immediately. She carried him around the entire time. It was so cute. He seemed perfectly content to be wagged around too.

Only Annabel began to feel left out. She tried showing her baby doll but he wasn't interested.

With all the guests arriving she appeared to feel lost. I never know if it is the language barrier or her ears and problems with hearing.

I saw it coming and knew she needed a job. My best guess is in the group home, each child had a job. But she needed a special one, so I put my camera in her hand and thus the collage above.

Don't worry Mom and Dad, I took out some of the less flattering CLOSE UPS!!

I don't think my sister Lisa needs to worry about being replaced yet.

The party was great fun but never could have happened if friends had not taken over the all the food duties!

When most of the guests had left, my girls decided it was time for some entertainment. They sang several Chinese songs together. I am so proud that Annabel has helped Grace remember these children's songs she knew before.

Later that evening I heard some strange sounds from the TV Dad was watching. I realized it was a replay of video from 9/11/2001. It was difficult to watch. This time showed video that I had never seen. It was the first time the girls had seen anything about what happened. They knew and understood that a lot of people were killed, but I am not sure if they understood why.

One video showed people demanding that all of "those" people be tracked down and killed. The camera panned showing some of "those" people. I pray that the people from China will never be "those" people. I don't want my daughters to experience that type of prejudice.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Oh wow, those are some AWESOME photos. I didn't know that my face was that large.

PS. I think they are sending Dad home tonight (after 11pm!)

Holly said...

I am LOVING this post! That party looked like fun! And, I hope the white-gloved ones had too much fun to notice anything but the love and fun! ;-) Good for you for being such a good Mama to be in tune with Annabel and her feelings and needs. You all are doing so great!! Love from Colorado, -Holly

Jerri said...

OMG! These pictures are too great. I wondered who the heck took them. She did pretty good at getting some unusual angles, even though some of them are a little distorted! LOL The whole thing made me laugh.

ps - I'm signing in as you again until I get my password straightened out, or remember it, whichever comes first!!