Monday, September 1, 2008

Another day of firsts!

It is late and somehow I want to watch to see when and where Gustav will hit. It seems like more than 3 years and 3 days since Katrina hit. So many came to Dallas, some permanently. Jana reached out to a family and took them under her wing, providing a place to live, food, clothes, etc. For this family, life continued even though their world turned upside down. Such wonderful people. You cannot imagine going through the changes that storm could bring to every single part of their lives.

One of the FCC families left for China yesterday. When you are making all your plans to bring home your new family member, you don't think about the "details". A detail that ended up being such a stress for us was the tight security at the airports. I wish I could force the "terrorists" who have caused such HUGE changes to realize the damage they have caused and change their hearts. Trying to explain terrorists to children is difficult!

But onto better things!

I had to leave church for a little while this morning so I didn't laugh out loud.

Mom came to church whether she felt like it or not.

She had all of both girls' attention! When I sat down they were on either side, with their arms around her shoulders. At one point, Annabel wrapped Mom up in her scarf/shawl she had brought, only she put it all around her neck, then wrapped her arms around her too. Mom turned to her and said, "I believe I'm a little hot." Annabel turned to me and said, " I believe I'm a little hot."

She looked so serious. I wonder what she thought she had said?? She was quoting Mom and knew it was important to share that "special" info!!

We had another wonderful meal provided by our great friends. They have made my life so much easier!

We met the FCC group for a skating party. We've been watching the DVDs we bought in China that are supposed to teach your child English. Yesterday had skating on it. So we talked about going skating. Only the picture was of ice skating!

Both girls were so excited!

Grace has learned quickly that Annabel is up for anything, or so it seems. Last time we had the skating party, Grace was not that interested. This time, both were ready and anxious. They met some new friends who helped learn to skate. Each fell enough that I think there will be plenty of bruises! But they got up each time and kept going, begging to stay just 10 more minutes!

On our way home, we stopped at Target to return the uniforms that did not fit. While there, Annabel had her first Slurpee! She mixed all the flavors and made some strange faces, but ended up thinking it was quite good. How do you explain a Slurpee? She kept asking if it was ice cream!

For dinner we went to another Chinese buffet. Children are half the price of adults. But with my girls, I am afraid they are losing money on that! They find so many things they LOVE on these buffets!!!

We came home two bags of clothes for Annabel. People have been so generous sharing their daughter's clothes that have been outgrown! This time even included shoes. When I was growing up I loved to get someone's hand me downs! Now as the mom, I really appreciate them!

There was no time to post last night. The only problem with going to IKEA is putting it together. I finally finished the majority about 1:00 a.m.! Now I just have to put them in the right room.

I love a holiday. When I worked for the state, we received about 15 holidays, including Lyndon Johnson's birthday! When I went to work for the hospital it was difficult to adjust to limited number of holidays, but it does make each one more precious! How do I explain Labor Day to Annabel???!!!

No comments: