Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Evening ritual

A big thanks to Gloria for her birthday gift to Grace. Grace wanted a bigger bike and Gloria was determined she would have one. So with her help Grace got a bigger bike. This allowed Annabel to have Grace's smaller bike.

Our evening ritual, after dinner and homework is completed, consists of the girls jumping on their bikes while I struggle walking the dogs!

This is the same neighborhood where I loved to ride my bike. Mine was a classy Stingray with the banana seat and tall handle bars. I loved that bike! Usually my cousin Dubby and I were out riding up one block and down the other, up to the school grounds, and back home.

Now I am doing the same with my girls.

They LOVE their bikes.

They love riding fast, but wait patiently for Ollie, Nina, and me to catch up at each intersection. Annabel is still learning our rules of the road.

We have several accidents each night, but they jump up, brush themselves off, and catch up with the other.

Nina worries the whole time that she is going to be left behind and works the hardest to get caught up.

We go up and down the same streets Dubby and I did when we were younger. I just wish Moore's grocery was still on the corner. Then they could collect coke bottles until they got enough to split a Popsicle!

Annabel makes each trip a little special though. She remarks "beautiful!" several times each night. Tonight's "beautiful" was somebody's solar lights marking the path to their door. Functional is what I thought when I saw them, but for her, they were "beautiful".

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love this post and all the memories of bike riding that it brings back to me. When I was in second grade, my parents got me my first bike. It was a FULL-SIZE women's bike. LOL! My dad wired wooden blocks to the pedals in order for me to be able to ride it. I MUCH preferred borrowing my friends' Stingray bikes. They felt like Miatas to my huge Towncar bike. I could WHIP around on the Stingrays! One time, I rode a little too close to a corner planter, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up on my couch after being knocked out cold! I had a fat lip and a headache. LOL! Chris ran into a tree and knocked himself out as a kid. He went on to become an AVID bike rider with many medals and ribbons. He still rides Centurys and other long rides. And he sometimes rides the girls to school in a bike trailer. I can't ride these days due to knee arthritis. Poo. XXXOOO, Holly

Marcie said...

Drew loves bike riding too. A couple of years ago, we spent quite abit of money updating and repairing his bike, and sadly with school and work, he doesnt get to ride it enough. But we do have hitches on both our cars for a bike rack!

I love the "beautiful" paragraph. I feel that way a lot - love seeing things through new eyes!