Sunday, September 7, 2008

So much in such a short time!

So much has happened in so short a time.

It is hard to believe that almost seven years have past since that fateful day that changed the US.

I am grateful to all who have made our security and safety their priority and protected us from subsequent attacks. I understand that there are still risks but feel we do value our freedoms as never before.

For me, there doesn't seem to be any similarity to what my life was like then. I was in Phoenix with a friend attending a conference. Even though we could have stayed as long as we wanted, we immediately tried to get a way home. We had to know that everyone at home was safe.

I had not even thought about adoption then.

Darcey was still just a thought, a plan. It wasn't until I saw her the first time that I knew I wanted to adopt!

On a much shorter time frame, Tuesday will be one month since we returned home.

Some things for Annabel have happened quickly. Some are taking a long time.

On Friday, she tasted her first nacho and tortilla. Mom and Dad took us to Chili's for dinner. That was a nice treat.

Afterward Dad insisted on using a $20 credit at WalMart to help buy Grace a new bike. She has outgrown her 20", which is perfect for Annabel. Grace needed a 24" which is difficult to find. But Dad had done the legwork and found just the right one. They were so excited to get home and each have a bike to ride.

When we were growing up on this same street, we could only go as far as the two trees, which are long gone. But the girls are very careful to stay within our line of sight, until they have to go farther and we go to the school together.

Saturday the girls had a good time with the baby sitter. I met them at the pool, only they had taken a break and were feeding the fish. It was hard to pull them away from the fun.

When we were at the doctor's office, I realized they were having so much fun with the more toddler type of toys. It dawned on me that neither had ever had "toddler" toys. So we stopped at a garage sale on our way home looking. While we didn't find that, the girls were thrilled with the leftover baby clothes to use for their babies.

Later in the afternoon, I decided to give the dogs a bath. I don't think Annabel had ever seen a dog get a bath. She was so tickled by it!! Those dogs have never been so loved!!

Today was the first day of Chinese school. Annabel has waited 2 weeks for it to start. We had pre-registered but the classes we were signed up for were not the right level for the girls. The one that Grace was in was only in Chinese and Annabel's had kids about 4 or 5 years older than her.

We finally found the right classes, but discovered the only one for Grace is offered from 12 -2. We'll have to make some adjustments to get there in plenty of time though.

While we continue to introduce Annabel to new things, we are constantly making adjustments emotionally. I feel like at times we are on a roller coaster, then we are just sky diving without a parachute, and then we end up sailing on a lake as smooth as glass. I have to admit, at times it is exhausting.

No comments: