Sunday, September 28, 2008

Chocolate chips, 6 long, and dog have circle head?

The weekend flies by and sometimes I feel that we have run from one thing to the next.

On Saturday, Marcie met us for breakfast and then shopping for plants.


I had read a review of The Original Pancake House and been dreaming of the "best" bacon in Dallas ever since. It lived up to the review and definitely does have the best bacon. I ordered the Bacon Lovers Eggs and Pancakes for Annabel, with her understanding that part of the bacon was to be shared. It was difficult for her to give it up!

Too many carbs wear off too quickly so the flower shopping was cut short, but enough to spruce up our yard and some for Marcie's new house.

The "Green Pet" store was having their grand opening. Against my better judgment, we took our two maniacal dogs to try to find a better collar to help make our walks not be traumatic!!! Between the dogs barking incessantly and Annabel saying "I NO English!" and Grace was trying to cut a piece of chocolate cake, everyone knew we had arrived! And more thankful when we left.

Mom and Dad were expecting friends from Iowa and hoped we would go to eat with the group. But I think those situations make Annabel feel left out, so we opted to find "Chinese" instead.

This is so crazy that we continue to look for more of a "Mom and Pop" or I guess "Momma and Bobba" kind of Chinese restaurant, where we could become "regulars". This one almost fit the bill, with the Bobba taking initial order, Momma coming out of the kitchen to have a look, and son returning from delivering orders.

One slight problem, they spoke Cantonese, rather than Mandarin.

I'm not sure if the girls felt the same, but I felt like we were on display and was ready to leave.

We got to visit the friends after dinner and the girls enjoyed playing with their new twin granddaughters. Annabel would pick up one and take her to someone else. Grace would have kept both for the rest of the night!

I saw that when I first adopted Grace too. I believe they are called upon to care for anyone younger than them while in the orphanage. If you have been responsible for so many at such a young age, it doesn't feel like any fun to play with small children. Grace has just recently begun to show an interest in any child younger than herself.


Sunday starts with Annabel asking if she can have 6 LONGS again. Six Longs? Mom, you, me, Grace, Marcie, pandas?

Pandas? Hmmm, what could that be?

Grace is sure she wants pancakes. But I can't think that longs would mean pancakes.

Then she starts gesturing something rectangular shape.

Bacon?

Yes, yes, bacon, can I have 6?

We go for breakfast and this time Grace has chocolate chips on her pancakes.

Annabel - what's that?

Choclat

Me?

Now this is hard for Grace to give up, but she does share and Annabel is a new fan of chocolate chips! (she first put them in her pocket, until I convinced her they would melt and she could not eat them)

After Chinese school, Annabel announces that Grace's teacher must not be good since Grace - no homework, me (Annabel) lots of homework, so her teacher is good. She starts work on it immediately on the way home.

I cleaned out the freezer and needed to get rid of some things. I cooked a bunch of chicken wings and pizza rolls.

Annabel decides the pizza rolls are "gouda" (good). She asks for more.

We visit a friend's baby's first birthday party. Annabel came back from where the children were playing and waved her hand in front of her nose and said "all boys", blech!

The much dreaded Max Goldberg project that Grace was assigned is due on Monday. We had put it off as long as we could and while I am trying to understand what is needed, Annabel is working on her Chinese homework.

Every few minutes, "MOM!"

"Mom, Ollie/Nina head circle?"

Are Ollie and Nina's heads circles? I guess so.

Good

"Mom, Ollie/Nina eyes circles?"

OK...., yes I guess so.

"Mom, Ollie/Nina mouse black?"

Mouse black ..... mouth? I think it is red or pink.

Grace what English for by bed, Ollie/Nina snore, snore (sound only). Write English.

Pillow?

Yes, yes, Ollie/Nina sleep my pillow, long on floor.

That would be her body pillow that she puts on the floor and Ollie and Nina have claimed!

This was part of her Chinese homework and it was too funny to hear it read. I'm not sure if I would have written a description of the shape of their heads for a report. There was also a question about the color of their eyes, black? Yes, black.

We also got into a discussion about her sister in Jiangxi, which means it was in China. She ran and got her pictures that were sent with her from the orphanage and shows me a picture of a little girl. Best guess is that she is a foster sister, but I have posted on a yahoo group in hopes to find her. She knows she was adopted in 2004 at the age of 5. Grace has never been interested in finding her foster brother. I think he is probably here in the US, but will not pursue it for now.

We were doing our 20 minutes of reading and Annabel said, "wait!"

She still had 2 of those pizza rolls and brought them to bed with her! I guess she does like them!

2 comments:

lisa said...

Your description of breakfast, Green Dog, and the homework is just hilarious! I'm so glad you right all this stuff. It keeps me in touch with what's going on. Chocolate chips in her pocket! And I can only imagine what it was like at Green Dog!! Too funny. Thanks for sharing!

Marcie said...

I didn't understand half of that post, but I suppose that is because it was in Chinglish. It's much easier to understand her when you can see the sign language, hehe.