Monday, September 29, 2008

School without Grace!

The school day barely got started before I received a call that Grace was sick and needed to be picked up.

Grace had worked long and hard on her Rube Goldberg machine for science and I knew she was not feeling well. But she did create an expandable hand to remove bugs safely and return to the outdoors without killing them.

I wanted to make sure that Annabel understood that Grace was going home. I went to their class and I think she understood, but was more anxious that I leave the classroom so she could get her work done on the computer.

As we were leaving they were having a fire drill.

It didn't dawn on me that no one would explain to her what was happening.

Grace and I spent a very quiet day, unless my eyes closed for a minute and then she needed to talk to me!

Annabel came home with lots of news about school.

First - No homework! Ms. Wu evidently came and helped her with her homework before she left.

Then she had news that at school they had WOO! WOO! WOO! today. I knew that was the fire drill but did not know how to explain it if you are trying to act things out. Grace did a good Chenglish explanation but still not sure if she thinks the school was actually on fire or understood the idea of a drill.

She had a long conversation with Nina then about, "what cho doin Nina?" Nina is not very conversational. If you don't have a treat or a scratch behind the ears, she gets bored quickly.

Poppa asked her what she had for lunch. This had been discussed earlier with us as well. So here is what she had:

4 chicken
1 green
orange
muka

Dad said, "one green"? What is that?

Annabel decided to pack her lunch and took the last 4 chicken wings, or 4 chicken. She packed a container of mandarin oranges. Then she wanted to add a dessert. She chose some apple flavored gummy fruit treats that were GREEN. That would be the 1 green.

The muka is milk and she had peach flavored.

This is the milk that we have searched all Asian markets for and now I am concerned about letting them drink it after the scare with baby formula.
Another thing they have recalled is a type of candy that both love called "White Rabbit". In fact Annabel had several pieces the night before the news story came out.

Tomorrow is her appointment with the otologist. She is ok with it as long as they are not going to cut her ear. I am anxious to hear the new doctor's take on what needs to be done. All this time with that type of injury and no medicine, not even an antibiotic. It will also be nice to get her hearing corrected.

2 comments:

lisa said...

Oh my gosh, her command of english regarding foods is so funny! I love the 6 longs and now the lunch description. I can just see Dad's face when she said, "one green"!

Good luck with the appt. tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you both. :)

Holly said...

Poor Grace! I hope she is feeling well now. I want to see this machine she made! Pictures! We need pictures! My girls can eat a big pile of Longs. (Did you know that "long" in Mandarin can mean dragon?) XXXOOO, -Holly