Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Annabelly and her ears

Tonight I asked Annabel if I could call her Belle or Bella instead of Wan Yun or Annabel.

She said no!

Annabelly!

That's what I have been calling her as a nickname, but I am not sure if she understands what your belly is. Maybe I will stick with Annabel or Wan Yun, which I mispronounce terribly.

Why I would ever make us an 8:10 a.m. doctor's appointment is beyond me, but I think it was the first available and I grabbed it.

I had forgotten that we were out of eggs and a toasted bagel wasn't going to cut it for Annabel or Grace, so I thought we would get there early enough to eat out. I was not familiar with the doctor's building or even the hospital's area, so we ended up getting there just in time to search out a vending machine to stop one person from saying every few minutes, "I HUNGRY!!!"

Of course you already know there isn't a "good" breakfast in a vending machine, but it stopped the hunger long enough for the examination.

A quick aside.

I was trying to send this earlier but I am FOREVER losing my bifocals. (This time they were where I had been planting flowers!)

Anyway, her doctor had the neatest glasses that split and then hung around his neck! And they were RED!

So it took me a while to focus on the exam because I was so intrigued by those glasses! I had NO COFFEE! Sorry!

The doctor took one look in her ears and said she had no ear drum in one ear, the left one, and minimal hearing at this time. The other had, maybe bone marrow, scar tissue, but it was not affecting her hearing, so he would suggest leaving it alone.

After discussing all the potential problems with the surgery, including facial paralysis, loss of hearing, and that the surgery just did not work, I still agreed to proceed with the surgery at the first possible appointment. Until then she has no protection of her middle ear and no hearing on that side. It will be day surgery and while she will be down a few days, I pray that the long term impact will be HUGE!

Somehow she understands that she needs surgery. It makes me wonder if she was examined in China and someone explained it there.

At this point, all she wanted was us to HURRY! so she could get to school! Her friends would not know where she was!!

As I took her to school, Grace and I continued on to her doctor for her sinus infection.

I'm not sure how someone with a dozen kids does it. I wonder if there is someone sick all the time. I don't have very many vacation days left after being off from the adoption, so I have to get both well as quickly as possible.

Grace stopped at the restroom while I registered her in the doctor's office. All of a sudden all the lights went out! I felt my way down the hall to the women's restroom where there was NO LIGHT at all and helped Grace get out of the stall and back to the doctor's office.

You stay with me and you can always count on an adventure!!!!

1 comment:

Holly said...

OMG. Annabelly just cracks me up! Her first boyfriend HAS to call her Annabelly. Hee! Jerri - You are a great mama! Your commitment to your daughters is so huge. This ear surgery will be a big deal. But, I have 100% faith that the outcome will be the best thing for sweet Annabelly. I remember when we petitioned to be parents to Janie, we were awaiting word on the agency's decision. The head of the China program had been out at the ear doctor for her daughter, going through what sounds like the same experience that you are going through. If you need her contact info, just let me know. You'd love her! And, about the lights out thing - girl! You gotta carry a small flashlight in your purse! :-) XXXOOO, Holly