Tuesday, September 9, 2008

If I were Annabel

There is a TV show called Me or the Dog or something like that.

The trainer showed one owner the viewpoint of the dog.

It got me thinking about some of the questions that Annabel has asked her teacher, Ms. Wu.

Yesterday she came home again with a sheet of paper where Ms. Wu had translated some questions about our life.

First and foremost this time, was could we go out to eat?

I had gotten out of the habit of cooking, but decided that I could prepare more wholesome meals that a lot of the choices like KFC or McDonalds. So I had bought everything to make stir fried pork. Didn't have a recipe, but just threw in what I thought would taste good.

They scarfed it down like it was delicious.

Her next question was about fruit. She wanted a mango. Somehow I act out that we will get it tomorrow. She was ok if she could just have an orange instead.

Grace finally remembered to tell me that we were to call Ms. Wu at 8:15.

We three sat in anticipation of this phone call. I am not sure what their thoughts were, but I was anxious to know if there was other info I needed. Annabel was just excited to talk to someone in Chinese.

The time finally came and Annabel and she talked for a while, then she asked to speak to me.

She explained that for Annabel, Grace and I appear very open about things. That in China you must be very careful about what you say, what you write, what you draw, what you own, as the government is always watching.

You have to be very careful not to betray or disagree with the government in any way.

At 11 years old she has a stronger understanding of politics than most Americans. She at least knows and understands what it is like to live in a communist country, to live under the constant threat of punishment, imprisonment, and who knows what else.

To be in the US then must feel so different. I am sure we appear wasteful, driving places instead of walking. Food stocked in every cabinet and a refrigerator full.

To speak openly and honestly about our opinions with no fear.

To come and go as we please.

I am still learning what else has been such a shock to her. I hope when she can speak more English, she will tell us.

But in the meantime she is becoming a "regular" US child, riding her bike, roller skating, going to school, visiting Grandmother Grandfather, as she calls them, taking care of Nina Ollie. (What part of speech is "and"? I don't think they have them in Chinese!!)

One last thing.

Each morning we walk to school.

As soon as we get to Mom and Dad's driveway, she begins to yell in her loudest voice, "Goodbye Grandmother! Goodbye Grandfather!" She continues until we cross the street at the school.

Mom and Dad are usually in the kitchen watching the news and can't hear her, so Mom suggested they ring the doorbell instead.

This morning it was a race between Grace and Annabel to ring that doorbell (probably about 100 times!), then the farewells could be addressed in person. Mom was slower getting out the door and Annabel yelled at Grace, "Grace!! Grandmother!!" In other words, say goodbye to Grandmother!

Starts the morning off pretty funny!

We are trying to get ready for Dad's birthday party on Thursday. I might have to have it in just one room and put Ollie and Nina to guard access to the others! If anyone comes in wearing "white gloves" they will be dismissed!!

2 comments:

chinacats said...

It was such fun meeting you all at the skating rink. Krystal can't wait to see you (actually your kids - she couldn't care less about the adults-lol) at the Culture day thing. She really enjoyed helping Grace skate and would like to get together again. Caryn (my adopted-at-age-8 girl) only comment on the skating group was along the lines of "there sure a lot of girls named Grace" (another LOL). Love your Blog, I have been saying that I need to start one for some time, but don't know that I would have anything to say.

Jerri said...

Sorry, posting as you again. Will you do some pantomime with Annabel so she knows I'll be taking her picture? So she won't make the crazy faces she has on in your...photos. ;)

See you Saturday unless Ike gets to us earlier. :(