Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Quandary

Annabel used two different Chinese/English cards yesterday to ask if she could buy a stuffed animal.

I asked if she had any money.

She laughed and said no.

She knows that Grace has LOTS of toys of all kinds, polly pockets, barbies, books, stuffed animals, legos, thousands of art projects, an easel, who knows what else?

But Annabel has a baby doll, a few stuffed animals, nintendo, and that's about it.

So Annabel needs toys, but Grace doesn't.

Grace pouts.

What do I do? I know I can't make it even, but what do I do? Plus I can't just buy a bunch of toys right now, it's not Christmas or birthday.

So what do I do?

3 comments:

Jerri said...

I'm glad you are resisting the impulse to BUY, BUY, BUY!! You can never even things up. I will work on a solution and get back to you later. I'm brain dead from making paper mache globes with 23 seven year olds this afternoon!!

Holly said...

Someone smart taught me a phrase that is meant just for this: "It is not equal, but it is fair."

Grace has more because she has been home longer. She can sit down and write out a list of all her toys and who gave them to her OR she can hush up. :-)

Annabel has less because she has been home for a shorter time. She can sit with Ms. Wu and come to understand that Grace has had x birthdays, x Christmases, x surprises from grandparents, x visits from the tooth fairy, x + x + x + x ETC adds up to a lot of toys. Annabel can earn money for extra toys by working harder on home care (some call it chores. ugh) and other tasks. Or, she can wait for Christmas. :-)

It is not equal, but it is fair.

XXXOOO, Holly

chinacats said...

Hoo Boy! do I remember this one. One of Ayin's first (and most common) early sentences went like "Krystal have lotsa xxx, Ayin have one. Ayin want xxx" You can fill in the xxx with clothes, stuffed animals, crayons, you name it. I did what Holly suggested - told her that Krystal had been home for z years and when Ayin had been home for z years, she would have many whatevers. She wasn't happy, but eventually, I think she understood. Now (after 3.5 years home) she has almost as many things as Krystal does and more clothes as I buy her some and she gets all Krystal's hand-me-downs.

Hugs, Terri