Thursday, September 25, 2008

A big change and an early morning funny!

To start, the early morning funny - Annabel was going through the house this morning singing, "We will, we will rock you! Rock you! We will, we will rock you! Rock you!". Grace explained that Annabel's peng (friend) taught her that at school. Peng sounds like pon yo.

It was almost as funny to hear as Grace singing, "O my darlin', O my darlin'" in Goofy's voice.

Back to the big change.

When Jana and the girls stayed with me that month, I was in charge of laundry.

I washed my clothes the way Mom taught me. So I would ask if they had any wearable whites or wearable colors that needed to be washed. Jana looked at me so odd and asked what I was talking about.

To me, you did not wash your clothes that you wear with your towels, sheets, etc. They were a separate load, washed in cold water, probably fabric softener added. The same with colors. Towels, sheets, dish towels, etc. were in warm water, a longer cycle even. She laughed and laughed, but I continued my process; always making sure the machine was never overcrowded, so everything would get nice and clean. Their only little spa or whirlpool as it were.

When I adopted Grace, I had to adjust it a little.

She only had 1 pair of pants that she would wear and it is hard to make a full load of wearable whites sometimes, so they would get washed with sheets and towels.

Now with Annabel, I catch myself trying to wedge just one more wash cloth in and still make the lid shut. I never would have thought adding one small child to your household could increase the volume of laundry so dramatically. I feel like I am in the movie, "Yours, mine, and Ours" just trying to get through all the clothes each week. It seems to multiply over night.

I have learned an important lesson also.

My mother always smells of clothes to see if they are clean.

I have always done the same.

NO MORE!!!

If you see a pair of girl's panties laying around, assume they are dirty. DO NOT SMELL! Just wash them anyway.

3 comments:

lisa said...

Oh my, it's a good thing I had swallowed my drink when I read the part about smelling the panties! Otherwise it would have ended up on my monitor. I used to wash like that too, and still attempt to have towels in a separate load, but my dear family likes to wash as many clothes as possible in one load - never mind the color or fabric!!

Marcie said...

I use Oxy Clean, and wash everything in cold. All the Whites and Lights go in together, and all the darks go in together, unless a dark load is puney, then I might put some lights in with the darks. Sheets get washed separately just because they take up a whole load. I actually taught a class on laundry last year at school.

Holly said...

Panties, panties EVERYWHERE! That is our house, too. For some reason, my girls like to sleep in panties. So, they have day and night panties. They breed in the corner somewhere. LOL! I do Whites/Lights (including light colored towels and sheets), Darks (all except towels), and Dark Towels. Heaven help the person who puts a light colored kitchen towel in the Dark Towels. My pet peeve. Also, I never check pockets. If you leave a treasure in your pocket, it is going to get washed (and sometimes dried). XXXOOO, -Holly