Friday, September 5, 2008

Is this normal?

I made a quick escape to my private bath, my sanctuary, my retreat. But quickly our two dogs were DESPERATE for some love and care.

Then the door slams open and it is Annabel with a piece of paper, with both Chinese and English on it. She is trying to fold it so I can't see what all is written on it.

She shows me the English line that asks why they can't sleep later?

Grace comes in to see what is going on and then starts trying to explain in Chinese to Annabel about sleeping late. I felt certain her question was more about going to bed early, rather than sleeping late. So we three get into a heated discussion, while I still have my seat.

She had a sheet again of questions that she had the music teacher translate into English for her. The big questions seem to be about sleeping, going to bed so early (9:30?), making her eat raw vegetables, and can she take a bath, rather than shower.

We start trying to work together on the explanations and I begin trying to act out most of this info! Instead I just wrote out the answers for the teacher to translate!

But that's not all!!!

We also had a form to complete for after school programs. On each day you were to select your top 3 things you would like to do.

I look at the lists and then try to decide how to explain the choices to her.

I'm glad we did not have a video camera as I tried to act out basketball, choir, dance, soccer, karate, and computer classes. I did my best and at least I had some idea what she would like to do. I think she will be pulled from these funny items to do tutoring instead.

This mornings CT scan, to me, shows a lot about her background.

I cannot imagine too many children who, with no native tongue explanation, understands to lay down still and not move while she slips through this machine.

But she held perfectly still. There was only a need to do it once.

She had told me, by acting out, that she was going to sleep in there.

i am ready to know the results!

After a snack and visit with Poppa who was doing his volunteer work, it was back to school.

We were fortunate to have a delicious meal of barbecue chicken provided by a church friend. That makes everything so easy!!!Afterward the only question was whether they could go roller skating. They are doing a lot pretty than I would on those!!

I wish that fact that tomorrow is Friday would help, but I have to work on Saturday.

I do marketing/education/outreach to older adults and have a tendency to come up with these ideas on new ways to handle the need for education, activities, and sociability. Back in the summer I came up with Grandparentpalooza, in conjunction with Grandparents' Day on Sunday. So we have a BIG EVENT planned and seems to get bigger every hour!! Our goal is to help older adults connect with services in the area to help them with their grandparenting and ways to maintain their health to be available for their grandchildren. So far we are expecting about 250. Originally wanted just 75 people to attend.

Grace has an appointment tomorrow to check her eyes after her surgery. I hope for her sake that she does not have to wear glasses again!

No comments: